Friday, January 11, 2019

Today in The Loft: Extasy author Maggie Blackbird!

Joining me today in The Loft is Canadian author Maggie Blackbird. Maggie writes contemporary and historical romance about Canada's Indigenous People. She is the author of the Matawapit Family Series. Book One of that series, "Blessed" was recently released by eXtasy Books. Book Two, "Redeemed," is a work in progress. Raised on a reservation, Maggie is a member of the Ojibway Tribe and resides in Northwestern Ontario. The Ojibways are the second largest tribe in North America and are spread out among five American states, including Wisconsin, and three Canadian provinces.


In honor of her late Alaskan Malamute, Zeus,
Maggie uses this as her author photo

S:  Good morning, Maggie! Thanks so much for joining me for coffee today. It's cold today in Wisconsin, but I imagine it's much colder in Ontario! 

Let's begin with one of my favorite questions--Where do you do your best thinking? 

M:  Outside while walking the Mals before the sun and birds rise. It’s very peaceful and quiet. A time to reacquaint myself with nature. Once I’ve done my meditation, I like to let my thoughts wander, and wandering always pays off.

S:  (Nods.) I think meditation does much to clear the way for the creative process. For a writer, that kind of mental peace is so important. So what inspires your flights of fantasy?

M:  Flights of fantasy? You mean daydreaming? Anything can make me dream up new characters. I’d say right now, music. Saliva’s "Black Sheep" is the tune for me. It goes well with my character, Adam, from Book Two, "Redeemed," in the Matawapit Family Series.

S:  Why do you write romance?

M:  Because I love reading romance. Seriously, I fell in love with romance a long time ago when my older sister loaned me her Johanna Lindsey novel. Right then I thought, “This is the best thing ever.” From there, I wanted to create characters who struggle to overcome internal and external battles while finding love.

S:  There is nothing more enthralling than the process of falling in love. That's probably why romance is the bestselling genre in publishing. Love comes in all shapes and sizes. That fascinates most people. Complete this sentence:  “Writing is….”

M:  My passion. I love writing. Everything about it.


"Blessed" is Maggie's first book

 S:  Isn't it wonderful to be able to do what you love?

If you could live in any period of time, when would it be and why?

M:  I’d live in the here and now. I’m grateful for this time period because the technology available helps a lot of people who are ill. If not for this time period, people I love wouldn’t be alive if we were living, say, 20 years ago.

S:  As an MS Warrior, I can certainly understand that! 

If there is such a thing as reincarnation, what would you like to return to earth as and why?

M:  I’d like to come back as a spoiled rotten house dog. I mean, what a life! (Laughs.) Food. Playtime. Walks. Loafing. Sleeping. Lots of love. Woot! That’d be the life!

S:  (Smiles.) Since my sister asks her dog what he wants for dinner, I have to agree. As a house dog, life is good!

If you could have any animal in the universe as a pet, what would it be and why?

M:  A gorilla. I love them. They’re beautiful. Majestic. Smart. There is something about them that stops me in my tracks. I always gaze in awe at them. Especially the silverbacks.

S:  (Nods.) Have you ever looked one in the eye? There is such intelligence there. I always get the sense they want to tell us humans that we're getting it all wrong and they should be running things! (Chuckles.) They might be right.

If a paranormal invited you to host a dinner with five guests, all prominent figures in history who are now deceased, who would you invite and why?

M:  I’d telephone Jesus and ask him to be the guest of honour. I’d love to listen to his wisdom. Then I’d send Crazy Horse a smoke signal, because he was a very courageous man I admire, although he was Lakota and I’m Ojibway. I’d send out a canoe party to track down Jean-Baptiste Gaultier de la VĂ©rendrye. He explored this area where I live and I’d love to hear what the rivers, lakes, and land looked like during that time period. I’d text Dennis Banks, an Ojibway activist and founder of AIM, who passed on a few years ago. I read his autobiography and loved it. I have many questions I wish he could answer.  And last but certainly not least, I’d write Jane Austen. Imagine picking the mind of such a prominent author who inspired many romance writers.

And best of all, imagine the dinner conversation with these five people present.

S:  I am trying to imagine Jane Austen among that group. Would she be the simpering female, overwhelmed by the men in her presence? Or would she seize the opportunity to learn and grow? I guess that's a question for another day...

Tell me, Maggie, what do you crave?

M:  Popcorn and chips. Chips are a special treat. I don’t eat them as often as I’d like to, but I do love my bowl of popcorn while watching golf.

S:  (Winks.) Unfortunately, I watch golf on TV for the eye candy and it takes more than popcorn to get me through that! There are some hotties!

You are offered one of the following gifts: A day back in time, a glimpse into heaven, or perfect health. Which would you choose and why?

M:  Perfect health. Easily. Then I’d be Sjogren’s Syndrome free. I could resume my old activities. Go anywhere I wish. Work anywhere I want. 

S:  (Nods.) I'm with you there. Until I was diagnosed with MS, I did not understand the value of good health. 

Maggie, thanks so much for joining me today. I really enjoyed our conversation! 

If you would like to learn more about Maggie and her books, please visit--


Next week in The Loft:  Author Caroline Clemmons!

No comments:

Post a Comment