Friday, January 10, 2020

Today in The Loft: Author Tim Smith!

Joining me today in The Loft is fellow eXtasy author Tim Smith! Tim writes romantic suspense and contemporary erotic romance. An award-winning, best-selling author, he is also a freelance writer, photographer, and blogger. Tim has published more than 20 books with eXtasy, including Lido Key, The Dirty Blonde, and Warning Shot. When Tim isn't writing, he hangs out in the Florida Keys, researching new books, parasailing, and seeking the perfect Mojito.


Tim Smith
Author Tim Smith

S:  (Sips a Passion Fruit Mojito.) Good morning, Tim! Thanks so much for joining me today. 

Why did you become a writer?

T:  I’ve always had a creative spirit and have tried many forms of expression. I pursued music for a while, as a teacher, composer/arranger, and a performer. Photography has been a hobby since I was in high school and I dabbled in art. Writing has always come easy for me and when I hit the middle-aged-crazy years, I decided to pursue it full time.

S:  What attracted you to the romance genre?

T:  The human element and exploring the character’s feelings and emotions. I like to depict evolving relationships and what people experience when they realize it’s a genuine attraction. If you examine your own relationships, there was probably an “Aha!” moment when you realized you were hooked. It could’ve been something funny, sweet, sad, or dramatic. Most love affairs don’t involve Prince Charming or Rapunzel, and it’s fun to explore the reality of contemporary relationships. Life isn’t easy and neither is love.

S:  (Nods.) Relationships take work. Some tend to forget that.

What's you favorite thing about writing romance?

T:  I like showing two people getting to know each other and discovering what they have in common. Identifying the conflict and finding a resolution is also fun. It can be something as simple as where to spend a holiday, or as complex as a one-sided attraction, family objections, or third-party interference. I really enjoy writing flirting scenes and romantic encounters whether they lead to intimacy or not. I like to use humor because to me, that’s a huge part of any relationship. Realistic dialogue has always been one of my strong suits and I have fun with it.  

S:  Do you believe in love at first sight? Has it ever happened to you?

T:  The skeptical realist in me shrugs it off, but it has happened to me. In each case it didn’t work out, so my cynical side won the coin toss. I’ve known people who experienced the whole, “That’s the person I’m going to marry” thing when they met. It worked for some of them but not for others. On the flip side, my parents met in high school, never dated anyone else, and were married for 62 years. 

S:  (Smiles.) I'm always impressed when love at first sight works out!

What are you currently working on?

T:  I’ve finished the rough draft of this year’s Holiday Stocking Stuffer and I’m currently writing my next romantic spy thriller novel. I’m also working on a story for Extasy’s Summer Shorts series. Promo for all of my books is ongoing and I’ve already lined up a few book signing appearances for this year. I keep busy with some regular blog posts, and I’m always taking on freelance writing and marketing jobs.  

S:  Wow. You're a busy guy!

Tell me about your book, "Under a Christmas Moon."

T:  It's a tale of a young career couple preparing to celebrate their first Christmas together—until a little thing called life gets in the way. Here's the blurb--

Scott Burke and Lisa Berger were high school sweethearts once upon a time, but that was fifteen years ago. Sparks were rekindled one year ago, when Lisa found herself stranded in Scott’s hometown on Christmas Eve and they realized they never should have parted. Now they’re planning their first Christmas together as a couple, but a little thing called life keeps getting in the way. Both of their careers keep them busy, especially Lisa’s, and Scott begins to feel like the odd man out in the relationship. Can the two lovers keep the flames burning, or will they decide it isn’t worth the trouble?



S:  Been there, done that. It ain't easy! Where can readers purchase your book?

T:  It's available from all major booksellers, including:


S:  Tim, thanks for joining me today! If you would like to learn more about Tim and his books, please visit--

No comments:

Post a Comment