Friday, May 1, 2020

This week in The Loft: eXtasy Author Tim Smith!

Joining me today in The Loft is fellow eXtasy Books author Tim Smith. Tim is an award-winning and best-selling author of romantic mystery/thrillers and contemporary erotic romance. When not penning his tales of romance, he is a freelance writer, photographer, and blogger. Tim can be found in the Florida Keys, the setting for many of his books, where he enjoys parasailing and chasing the perfect Mojito.


Author Tim Smith

S:  Good morning, Tim! Thanks for joining me today!


What is your favorite thing about writing romance?


T:  I like showing two people getting to know each other and discovering what they have in common. Identifying the conflict and finding a resolution is also fun. It can be something as simple as where to spend a holiday, or as complex as a one-sided attraction, family objections, or third-party interference. I really enjoy writing flirting scenes and romantic encounters whether they lead to intimacy or not. I like to use humor because to me, that’s a huge part of any relationship. Realistic dialogue has always been one of my strong suits, and I have fun with it.  


S:  (Nods.) Humor is important in any relationship, especially when you're falling in love!


What are you currently working on?

T:  I’m currently finishing my next Nick Seven romantic spy thriller for release later this year. I’m also working on my Christmas Stocking Stuffer story, in addition to ongoing promotional activities and blogs.


S:  (Groans.) Writing a holiday story in spring is so tough!


What/who inspires you?

T:  I get inspiration from the little everyday things that may escape our notice at first. For story ideas, I’m always looking for off-the-radar news items, the ones that make me ask “What if this happened instead?” I do the same thing with personal experiences, looking for ways to incorporate them into a story, especially if they’re funny. While my characters are fictional composites, a lot of my own life events have found their way into my plots. I also get inspiration from talking with other writers, especially when I attend the monthly meeting of my local support group. Hearing what my peers have accomplished usually gives me the motivation to get back to work.  


S:  How many books do you average a year? Which book is your favorite thus far? 


T:  I’ve been averaging three per year, consisting of a summer and holiday short and a full-length novel in one of my two series (one featuring a former spy, the other showcasing a private eye). Choosing a favorite is difficult, so I’ll narrow it down to two. “The Neon Jungle” (Nick Seven Book 6) was a lot of fun for me to write, because it’s more of a tough urban romantic thriller than the others I’ve done in that series. Runner-up would be “Lido Key” (Vic Fallon Book 2). I had always wanted to write a pulp fiction private eye caper as a contemporary erotic romance, and this was my chance.


S:  Do you ever have a problem ending a book?


T:  The problem for me isn’t ending the book so much as crafting a finale that wraps up the action in a believable manner. When you come to the end of a story that’s part of an ongoing series, you need to keep the characters together with a happy-for-now while making readers want to come back for the next installment. You can establish the “Will they or won’t they?” but it’s a challenge to get readers asking “Do I really care what happens next?”     


S:  Tell me about your book, "Cuban Fire."


T:  Well, it's Book 4 in my Key West Heat series. Here's the blurb--


Take one newspaper writer who goes to Key West for an assignment, add a cute Cuban vixen looking for a good time, stir carefully with a Key Lime twist and let the beach party begin. Brad didn’t know what to expect when Chiquita set her sights on him at the bar, but he certainly didn’t think she’d change his cynical outlook on life. The free-spirited pixie with a natural flair for hustling opens his eyes to a different world, but can he adapt to her laidback, carefree lifestyle? Is there a future beyond the sunset?

Cuban Fire (Key West Heat Book 4) by [Tim Smith]


S:  Ah, romance with a little Key West in the mix! Enticing!

Where can readers buy your book?

T:  It's available from all major booksellers, including:





S:  Tim, it's been a pleasure chatting with you. Good luck with your book! For more information on Tim and his books, please visit--


1 comment:

  1. Seelie, thank you for having me as your guest today. Your blog is super, and it's always a pleasure to be featured here.

    ReplyDelete