Friday, January 29, 2021

Today in The Loft: Author Tim Smith!

Joining me today in The Loft is fellow eXtasy author Tim Smith! A prolific writer--he has published 27 books--Tim's tales of romantic suspense and contemporary erotic romance have won him awards as well as inclusion on bestseller lists. When not writing, he works as a freelance writer, editor, and photographer. Tim lives in southwest Ohio, but can often be found wandering the Florida Keys--researching his books, parasailing, and seeking out the perfect Mojito.

Author Tim Smith

S:  Good morning, Tim! It's always a pleasure to chat with you!

You are one of the few males in our industry who writes straight romance. What attracted you to the romance genre?

T:  The human element and exploring the character’s feelings. I like to depict evolving relationships and show the mental and emotional changes people experience when they realize there’s a genuine attraction. If you examine your own relationships, there was probably an “Aha!” moment when you realized you were hooked. Most love affairs don’t involve Prince Charming or Rapunzel, and it’s fun to explore the reality of contemporary relationships. Life isn’t easy and neither is love.

S:  What's your favorite thing about writing romance?

T:  Showing two people getting to know each other and discovering what they have in common. It’s fun to discover little things that may or may not be deal-breakers in a budding relationship.  Identifying the conflict and finding a resolution is also fun, whether it’s overcoming cultural differences, or dealing with outside interference. I really enjoy writing flirting scenes whether they lead to intimacy or not. I like to use humor because to me, that’s a huge part of any relationship. Realistic dialogue has always been one of my strong suits, and I have fun with it.

S: (Smiles.) I also try to include humor in my tales. To me, if you aren't laughing, you're not having fun and that's what romance should be--fun!

What would you like people to know about you?

T:  I like to switch between writing romantic mystery or thrillers and shorter seasonal romances. It keeps things interesting. For the past few years, I have released two short rom/coms and a full-length adventure novel each year. In addition, I am an editor for hire, and a freelance writer and photographer. I love to travel, and can’t wait for current restrictions to ease up so I can start doing that again. 

S:  Do you read your reviews?

T:  I do read reviews, because I like to get feedback on my work. I don’t believe that getting a bunch of great reviews on Amazon leads to increased sales, though. I say that because no one has ever told me they bought one of my books because so-and-so gave it five stars. While good reviews are an ego boost, I’m more interested in ones that take a critical look and offer constructive comments. I think the nicest compliment I can get is when someone says they can’t wait to read my next book. It doesn’t get much better than that! 

S:  I admit to reading my reviews as well. It's always interesting to discover what people like and don't like about my books.

What's the best advice you have ever been given?

T:  When you introduce a new character, even one who is only a supporting player, include a brief physical description. Whenever I write a character, I always have an image in mind. It’s important to share that with the reader, to give them something to visualize.    

S:  What inspires your stories?

T:  Many of my stories are inspired in part by actual events and personal experiences. If I’m working on a mystery/thriller, I may run across something in the news that intrigues me, especially if it’s quirky or unique. When I’m writing the relationship part in a story, I’ll often draw upon something that happened to me. Sometimes it’s a minor incident, such as a conversation or brief encounter, but some experiences have been the basis for entire plots. 

S:  What inspired "One Lonely Christmas Eve?"

T:  "One Lonely Christmas Eve” was inspired by personal events. Initially, the opening scene was a flash fiction thing I sent to some friends for Christmas in 2019. Then I decided there was more to the story. When I conceived it, I was between relationships, most of my friends already had holiday plans, and I was dreading the idea of spending Christmas alone. Fortunately, I didn’t have to, but it made me think.  

S:  I think that's a theme many are acquainted with. 

Is there anything special you would like people to know about this book?

T:  This is a nice little romance about a couple of lonely friends who connect on Christmas Eve and come up with a cure for the holiday blues. I hope readers think about family and friends who might be facing holidays alone, and what they can do about it. If you know someone like that, reach out to them. I’m sure they’d appreciate it.

Here's the blurb--

Christmas can be a lonesome time of year, especially when you have no one special to share it with. Alex March stops at his favorite diner on Christmas Eve to avoid going home to an empty apartment, but that isn’t the only reason. He really wants to see Denise Del Florio, the attractive widow of one of his best friends, who is dreading her first solo holiday. In the year since her husband was killed, Alex has been there for her and they’ve developed a close friendship. He feels a nostalgic longing for holidays gone by and thinks that together, he and Denise can provide a remedy for their mutual loneliness. Will they still be besties when the holiday is over, or will they have moved on to something more serious? 


S:  That sounds like a lovely holiday tale! Where can readers buy your book?

T:  It's available at all major booksellers, including--

Publisher:  https://www.extasybooks.com/978-1-4874-3093-1-one-lonely-christmas-eve/

Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R35W85T

Barnes & Noble:  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/one-lonely-christmas-eve-tim-smith/1138520224?ean=2940165413810

Kobo:  https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/one-lonely-christmas-eve

S:  Tim, thanks for joining me today! If you would like to learn more about Tim and his books, please visit--

Amazon Author Page:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R35W85T

All Author Page:  https://allauthor.com/author/timsmith/

No comments:

Post a Comment