Friday, February 2, 2024

This week in The Loft: New Extasy Author Andrea Brellick!

Joining me today in The Loft is new eXtasy author Andrea Brellick. Andrea's first book, "At Her Will," is romantic suspense. A resident of Toronto, Canada, Andrea has worked as a waitress, bartender, a film extra, and a retail sales representative. She spends the warm months walking her dog, swimming, snacking with friends, and sketching ideas for her next story. In the cold months, she does the same thing! Andrea says her next book will probably be a horror story.

Author Andrea Brellick

S:  Good morning, Andrea! Thanks for joining me in my loft today.

This is your first book. Do you plan to stick to the romantic suspense genre, or are other genres calling to you?

A:  While I enjoyed writing an erotic thriller, creating the darker scenes was my favorite part of the process. That said, I think I’ll write a horror story next. I’m a big fan of Stephen King–I started reading his work when I was eight years old–so, I’m looking forward to re-reading his stories in preparation for my own. 

S:  I'm a real fraidy-cat. Horror stories almost always lead to nightmares!

How do you develop your characters? Do you use photos or a vision board?

A:  For the visual development, I watch a lot of movies and shows. Then I go on long walks, preferably on foggy days, and think about it more. When I’m all by myself, which is rare, and usually on public transit commuting to work, I record notes on characters.

S:  Do you outline the plot for your stories before writing?

A:  Yes. The outline often includes dialogue to remind me of the “feel” I’m trying to convey in each chapter.

S:  I always had difficulty with outlines in school and that hasn't changed. I'm a "pantser." I just start writing and see where the story goes.

What is the best thing that has happened to you as a writer?

A:  Receiving encouragement throughout the drafting process for this book, particularly in the early stages. I didn’t fully appreciate those early supportive comments at the time, but now I go back and look at the early drafts–yikes. The positivity no doubt kept me going.

S:  Every author needs a few cheerleaders!

If you had to do it all over again, would you still choose to write books?

A:  Yes, but would have started earlier, probably in my twenties. I’ve always been interested in writing books. However, it took time to push through the self-inflicted doubt--I don’t know how, I don’t have the time, etc.--and settle into the right mindset.

S:  What inspired "At Her Will?"

A:  The first source of inspiration is my experience working in many industries. I’ve had jobs in retail, hospitality, childcare, film, advertising, and teaching sports. Second would be the characters from films and shows of all genres.

S:  Is there anything special you would like people to know about "At Her Will?"

A:  Despite the book’s dark and disturbing themes, the goal of my story is to entertain readers. When I wrote this book, I constantly reminded myself that it’s my job to convince readers that their time is better spent reading my book than engaging in other forms of entertainment, such as watching TV/a movie, going to a concert, or listening to a podcast. If my audience feels that reading my book was a good use of their time, I did my job.

Here's the blurb--

A year after her sister’s death, Katey Philips receives a mysterious message. The message suggests her sister didn’t die by accident on the night she hosted a work party. Disguising her identity, Katey moves across the country to work at the public relations firm that employed her sister. Katey quickly learns she doesn’t work at an ordinary PR firm. The company runs a second line of business her sister never spoke of. This secret work is dangerous and shameful, and participating in it is the only way Katey can uncover what happened to her sister. Katey must choose how far she’ll go to find the truth, even if it means sharing the same fate as her sister.


S:  That sounds fascinating. Where can readers buy "At Her Will?"

A:  It's available at--


S:  Andrea, thanks so much for joining me today, and good luck with your book. If you'd like to learn more about Andrea and her books, please visit--

Website:  https://www.andreabrellick.com

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/andreabrellick/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andreabrellick?mibextid=hu50Ix


No comments:

Post a Comment