Friday, November 9, 2018

Today in The Loft: Author Holly Bargo!

Dropping by for coffee and pastry today is author Holly Bargo. Holly utilizes her love of fairy tales, legends and myths to create stories of paranormal fantasy and shifter romance. She is also a fan of horses, which should come as no surprise, since she, her husband, and children live in the midst of a menagerie of horses, llamas, alpacas, cats, a rabbit, and one very fluffy white dog.


Author Holly Bargo

S:  Good morning, Holly! Thanks so much for joining me today! Let's begin with a basic question. Why do you write romance?

H:  Romance is basically an extension of ancient myths and fairy tales. I never outgrew them. When I daydream, I fantasize about grand adventures and grand love for myself, expanding far beyond my own small life. Romance, especially when mixed with fantasy, offers endless possibilities.

S:  Can you name a person, book, or song that inspires flights of fantasy?

H:  The soundtrack from "The Last of the Mohicans" (1992) haunts my dreams and thoughts. It's eerie and lovely and evokes a yearning for something more, something amazing, something awe-inspiring.

S:  Which, of course, plays right into your love of fantasy. You seem to have a pretty busy life filled with kids and animals. Do you have time for an "alternate occupation?" Something you do other than write romance?

H:  I make my living as a freelance writer and editor. Writing for other people gives me an interesting perspective into a diverse array of topics. Probably the most fun writing gig I have is as editor/writer for the World Library Foundation's newsletter. The possibilities are endless. Being an editor often serves as a source of dismay and inspiration--dismay from a supply of poor quality manuscripts submitted by authors who don't write well to inspiration from those astonishing authors who have real talent and raw potential that I admire.

S:  I  ghostwrite non-fiction and edit books as well. It can be inspiring when a writer's words sing. As a writer, what's the best advice you have been given?

H:  Write in active voice. I never realized how much my writing droned until that one slapped me upside the head. I now pass that advice on to everyone and focus on it when editing other's work.

S:  Since you already have a menagerie, I have to ask--if there was any animal in the universe you could have as a pet, what would it be and why?

H:  I live on a farm and have experience with livestock. I hold few illusions about animals. However, if I could, I'd have one of the big cats. There's something about all that wild beauty and power and contained savagery that beckons to me, but I also know that having a pet that sees me and thinks "lunch," doesn't lend itself to continued good health.

S:  (chuckles) I suspect my neighbors would agree with that last part. We sometimes have sightings of mountain lions and I can tell you, no one has tried to feed them!

Tell me about your book, "Bear of the Midnight Sun."

H:  Sure. Here's the blurb--

After a thousand years, immortal polar bear shifter Sindre finally finds his mate--on a talk show. In the city where anything goes, an impromptu wedding is just a taste of what's to come. Startled into going through with the ceremony, Miranda can't stop the big, virile man from staking his claim on her and releasing her bear. Sindre can't believe his good luck and will do anything to keep his mate at his side, up to and including taking marital advice from Atlas Leonidus. An independent woman with a successful career, Miranda melts at his touch and shuns his control, except she can't control her bear.



S: (blushes) Oh, my! A story I can identify with--not as a bear shifter--but as an independent woman. Still, I wouldn't mind meeting a virile bear shifter!

Where can readers buy your book?

H:  It's available on Amazon. Here's the link--

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Midnight-Immortal-Shifters-Book-ebook/dp/BO7HKQLK7M

S:  Holly, thanks so much for joining me in The Loft today! If you would like to learn more about Holly and her books, visit--

Website:  https://www.henhousepublishing.com
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/HenHousePublishing1/
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/HollyBargoBooks
Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Holly-Bargo/e/BOOJRK6VGQ/


Next week in The Loft:  Author Dee S. Knight!

No comments:

Post a Comment