Friday, January 3, 2020

This week in The Loft: Author Dee S. Knight

Joining me today in The Loft is author Dee S. Knight. Dee writes romance in a broad range of sub-genres, including sweet, historical, contemporary and paranormal romance. Her characters kill people, fall in love, become drunk with power, and/or are sobered with responsibility. While she spends her days spinning tales, her nights are spent with the man of her dreams--her childhood sweetheart and long-time husband. Dee currently lives in the Midwest.


Author Dee S. Knight

S:  Good morning, Dee, and Happy New Year! 

You seem to write all types of romance. What attracts you to this genre?


D:  The fact that I personally believe in love and the miracles it can perform. Do I believe that everyone who falls in love gets a Happily Ever After? No. Life is not a Hallmark movie! But I believe that love can transform and change people for the better and make the world a better place. So what can I do but write romance? That sounded kind of schmaltzy. (Laughs.) But I am a true love, Kool-Aid drinker! I promote love when I can, and writing romance is one way I do that.

S:  I must admit you have a very heart-warming personal love story. That has got to enhance your view of romance. 

Do you remember your first kiss? What was memorable about it?

D:  My husband and I started dating in tenth grade. I’d known him for a couple of years, but we went out for the first time during Christmas break of our sophomore year. He attended a boarding school, and the last time we saw each other before he had to go back to school, he lightly kissed me goodbye. I felt like I could float. I feasted on the memory of that kiss for weeks, until he came home again. Funny, right? There was no touching, really. He held my hand. There was no tongue, no slanting of heads to deepen the kiss. It was just gentle and sweet. I was pretty sheltered. I took a survey in Vogue magazine my junior year of high school. The survey was to determine where you were on the naughty scale. The first question was, "Have you been kissed?" I answered, "Yes." Second question was, "Have you been French kissed?" Now, I had kissed someone that year who was not Jack. He ran his tongue across my lips. I had no idea what for, and that’s as far as it went. But because Jack had never done that, I thought that was French kissing! So I answered, "Yes." I didn’t answer Yes to any other question and was deemed, "Pure as the driven snow." And that’s with not answering the French kissing question correctly!

S:  (Chuckles.) I suspect I would have scored a little further down that scale. My first kiss was in Kindergarten and things just progressed from there!

What attracted you to your current partner?

D:  Jack has always been protective of me and supportive. He’s never tried to hold me back. In fact, he encourages me in everything I’ve tried to do and he’s pushed me to do more than I thought I could. He’s gentle and very kind. I feel safe with him. And—and this is so important—he makes me laugh.

S:  (Nods.) I adore a gentleman who makes me laugh!

How do you want to be remembered?

D:  would like people who meet me to remember me as a polite and fun person. I like to laugh and I like to make others laugh, too. I’d  also like to be thought of as kind. When people think of me, I’d like it to be with a smile.

S:  Do you ever have a problem ending a book?

D:  No. In fact, I often start a book with the ending in mind and work my way through with that ending in mind. Sometimes, I might rush the ending a bit, but I almost never have trouble thinking about how I should end the story.

S:  (Laughs.) I never know how my stories will end, only that they will end well. I'm a bit of a "pantser." I let my characters lead me. I seem to have little control over where things wind up!

Who is Anne Krist and why are we featuring her book here?

D:  (Grins.) It's my pen name. Years ago, I wanted to write a book based on a true story. I had heard of a Virginia mailman who died. When his family went to the garden shed to clean it out along with the house, they found several bags of mail! Evidently, there were days when he didn’t feel like finishing his route, so he went home and stacked the mail in his shed. I thought about that, and how lives were changed by the letter they didn’t receive, and created the story for Burning Bridges. I wanted to include Vietnam as part of the story, so the setting is in 2005. I didn’t want the story to be erotic romance, so I used the pen name, Anne Krist, to differentiate the sub-genre. I recently got the rights back for Burning Bridges, so it will be re-released in 2020. I hope readers love it like I do!

Here's the blurb--


Letters delivered decades late send shock waves through Sara Richards’s world. Nothing is the same, especially her memories of Paul, a man to whom she'd given her heart years before. Now, mending her own mistakes of the past and putting her life back together without burning any bridges will be the hardest thing Sara’s ever done.


S:  That sounds like a beautiful, emotional love story. I can't wait until it's re-release!

Dee, thanks so much for joining me today.  If you would like to learn more about Dee and her books, visit-- 

Amazon Author Page:  http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B079BGZNDN

In addition, join Dee for her once a month, Charity Sunday blog posts, where your comment can support a select charity!

2 comments:

  1. Seelie, thanks so much for hosting me today! Hope you have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this guy didn't believe "the mail must go through" apparently. Sounds like a great catalyst for a story!

    ReplyDelete