Friday, February 28, 2020

Today in The Loft: Author Kate Hill!

Joining me today in The Loft is author Kate Hill.  Kate began writing more than 20 years ago. Since then she has published over 100 short stories, novellas, and novels. Kate loves horror and happily ever afters, so her stories combine the two, spinning tales of witches, aliens, vampires, angels, demons, shapeshifters, and more. A vegetarian New Englander, Kate enjoys reading, working out, and watching horror movies. She also writes under the name Saloni Quinby.


Author Kate Hill

S:  Welcome, Kate! 

You have an impressive back list. Why did you become a writer?

K:  I love reading stories and I love telling them. I started writing to tell stories that I wanted to read, but hadn't found.

S:  What attracts you to the romance genre? 

K:  The endless possible settings in which characters, both human and sometimes non-human, can find love.


Mysti and Starr (Wild Witches of Beaver Bay 1)

S:  What is your favorite thing about writing romance? 
K:  Developing the closeness between the main characters, and watching them interact with each other and others as well. I love the underlying friendship and loyalty that accompanies the love between the main characters.
S:  Do you remember your first kiss? 
K:  (Laughs.) What was memorable about it? I remember it because it was terrible. It taught me what I didn't want, which can be valuable.
S:  What was your worst date ever? 
K:  I once dated a person who came into my house and started opening my cabinets. I'm not sure I can call it an actual date, because once that happened, I ended it and didn't bother with the rest of the evening. Needless to say, I never dated that person again.

Spirits of Christmas (Wild Witches of Beaver Bay 2)

S:  (Chuckles.) That's pretty awful! Most people limit themselves to the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, with the door closed!
Do you believe in love at first sight? Has it ever happened to you? 
K:  I never believed in love at first sight until my grandmother said to me, "If you can hate someone on sight, why can't you love someone on sight?" Ever since then, I've believed it can happen, even though I've personally never experienced it.
S:  If you had to do it all over again, would you still write books? 
K:  Definitely. I don't think I could stop myself if I tried.

Trinity and Jeff (Wild Witches of Beaver Bay 3)

S:  What are you currently working on? 
K:  Right now I'm working on "Amelia and Orion," the last book in the Wild Witches of Beaver Bay series. They have been secondary characters in other books in the series, but it's time for them to admit that there's far more than friendship between them.
S:  What/who inspires you?
K:  Anyone who has ever pursued their dream inspires me.
S:  Do you ever have a problem ending a book? 
K:  Always. The last line of a book is probably the hardest thing to write, other than blurbs.
S:  Kate, thanks so much for joining me today! If you would like to learn more about Kate and her books, please visit--

1 comment: