Friday, September 4, 2020

This week in The Loft: Author M. Lee Prescott!

Joining me today in The Loft is award-winning author M. Lee Prescott! Lee has dipped her pen in a variety of genres, including western, historical, and contemporary romance, romantic suspense, mystery, young adult, children's books, and non-fiction. By day, Lee is a professor at a small New England liberal arts college, where she focuses on the social contexts within which children learn. A resident of southeastern Massachusetts, she enjoys spending time with family, yoga, swimming, teaching mindfulness, and walking.


M. Lee Prescott
Author M. Lee Prescott

S:  Good morning, Lee! Thanks for joining me in The Loft.

Why did you become a writer? 

L:  I’ve always loved writing to discover what I’m thinking and feeling in the deepest part of me. The process is full of surprises and awe. Then I got serious with a group of colleagues when we were exploring the writing process for our students. That was it. I was off and running, and 28 books later I’m still at it!

S:  (Smiles.) I often joke that writing romance is addictive. Once you start, you can't stop!

What makes you unique--as a writer and/or person? 

L:  We each have unique life stories that shape the writers we become. My stories are about family and community, and the love and support we give each other. No one else can tell my stories because even though they are fiction, they come from the heart and have sprung from my life as a daughter, sister, friend, wife, mom, grandmother, partner, colleague, and teacher.

S:  (Nods.) That's so true. My personal experiences as a lawyer, wife, mother, sister, and daughter inspire my stories. What is your writing process? 

L:  I write as often as I can, when the demands of my other job, as a full-time college professor, allow. When beginning a new novel, I mull for a while, sometimes a long while, briefly outline, mull some more, then begin. I usually write an entire first draft without lots of revising and editing. Then the shaping begins and I revise, revise, revise. I am blessed with a wonderful copy editor who is critical at this stage. 

S:  What attracted you to the romance genre? 

L:  Like many romance writers, I’m a sucker for a happy ending. I also believe in true love, unconditional love, and all the nuances of love that infuse my stories. I consider it a privilege to spend time with all the characters and families in my stories. They make me laugh, cry, and smile every day.

S:  These days, that happy ending is particularly important.

Do you write in other genres? 

L:  I have two mystery series—the Ricky Steele books--sassy, first person stories beginning with "Prepped to Kill"--and the Roger and Bess books--cozy, village mysteries. My first book in that series was "A Friend of Silence." I’ve also written "Song of the Spirit," a young adult historical novel. Each genre has its own joys and challenges.

S:  Tell me about your book, "Emma's Dream."

L:  Here's the blurb--

A woman is the last thing on Ben Morgan’s mind as he comes home to Morgan’s Run, his family’s ranch in Saguaro Valley. Doctor’s orders, he’s home to heal, but the sooner he can get back to Santa Barbara, the better. Then he runs into Maggie Williams on Main Street, prompting vivid memories of a magical night, and Ben’s ailing heart skips a beat.

Father of her beloved four year old daughter, the eldest of the Morgan sons is the last person Maggie expects to have crash into her car and back into her life. For years, she has struggled to forget him and to make a life for herself and her daughter, Emma, the mirror image of a father who is unaware of her existence. Now, here he is, looking more gorgeous than the day he ran out of town. Maggie swears Ben Morgan will never break her heart again.


S:  Where can readers buy your book?

L:  It's available at all major booksellers, including--


S:  Lee, thanks so much for joining me today. If you'd like to learn more about M. Lee Prescott, visit--

No comments:

Post a Comment