Friday, December 18, 2020

Today in The Loft: Author J. L. Regen!

Joining me today in The Loft is author Joan Ramirez, who writes as J.L. Regen. Joan writes contemporary and historical romance. She holds an M.S. in Business, Medical, and Technical Journalism, as well as degrees in English as a Second Language and Education. A published photojournalist, Joan has published three non-fiction books and a variety of articles on topics ranging from cochlear implants to the economy. She has taught English as a Second Language around the globe and conducts workshops on the nuances of business communications for managers and start-up companies. Joan lives in New York City.

Author J. L. Regen

S:  Welcome, Joan. Thanks for joining me today!

Why did you become a writer?

J:  My love of writing. I was intrigued with the concept of a romance novel. A love story.

S:  Do you write full or part-time? Do you have a job or other responsibilities?

J:  I am building up to writing full-time right now. I still teach, so I balance both worlds.

S:  Did you undergo any sort of educational or other preparation to become a writer?

J:  I have an M.S. in Specialized Journalism, but I think I inherited my creativity from my beloved mother.

S:  As a former journalist, I know writing romance tosses you into very different world. Suddenly, all the rules ingrained in you no longer apply. That make the transition difficult.

Did you have a mentor when you became a writer?

J:  Yes. Isabelle Holland, who wrote “The Man Without A Face.” A brilliant and gracious lady.

S:  Complete this sentence: “When I started writing books, I wish I had known…”

J:  ...how challenging it was to balance a job, home life, and writing. I would not have been so hard on myself.

S:  (Smiles.) Even as a writer, work-life balance is important.

Why did you write "Secret Desires?" What was your inspiration?

J:  I wrote this book to give people second chances at love. A friend was my inspiration. She found love at 70.

S:  That's wonderful! That gives me hope that at my age, a second chance at love is possible!

Is there anything about this book that makes it special to you?  To readers?

J:  This book is special because it was my first romance, and everyone likes to see lovers in love.

Here's the blurb--

Nothing in Margo Simmon’s life comes easy. She can’t claim the inheritance on a condo apartment her uncle has left her until she is gainfully employed in a job for a year. She meets the man of her dreams but anguishes over a loving relationship because he is still emotionally tied to his deceased wife. With great difficulty, she becomes the guardian to a recently orphaned child she has been tutoring. Margo evolves from an insecure, newbie elementary teacher into a woman determined to fulfill the secret desires locked in her heart. My story speaks to anyone who has suffered a loss and had to start over.


S:  Where can readers buy "Secret Desires?"

J:  It's available from the following booksellers--

Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Desires-J-L-Regen-ebook/dp/B01N137HX5

Barnes & Noble:  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/secret-desires-j-l-regen/1125516296?ean=9780998409917

Audible:  https://www.audible.com/pd/Secret-Desires-Audiobook/B07GFWPX4L

S:  Joan, thanks so much for joining me today! If you'd like to learn more about Joan and her books, please visit--

Website:  https://www.joansbookshelf.com/

Blog:  https://writerjr1044.wordpress.com/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/joan.ramirez.98031

No comments:

Post a Comment