Friday, July 16, 2021

This week in The Loft: Author Bernadette Jones!

Joining me today in The Loft is romantic suspense author Bernadette Jones. When growing up, Bernadette was exposed to a vast array of sights, music, and personalities, many of which inspire her stories. Traveling the country with her father and two brothers, she has lived in Texas, Oregon, Washington, South Dakota, Nebraska, Illinois, and Massachusetts. After a career in corporate writing, she decided to settle down and write books. She now resides in New York City, where she shares her apartment with a canine companion.

Author Bernadette Jones

S:  Good morning, Bernadette. Thanks for joining me today.

Why did you become a writer?

B:  I’ve had stories running around in my head my whole life. Along with the stories,  there has been the compulsion to write them down in a book. I know it’s a little Twilight Zone, but I feel I have an obligation to the characters to give them life through the books I write. Please don’t tell my shrink. We have enough issues to work through.

S:  How do you get in the mood for writing?

B:  I love music, all genres. I use Spotify and create playlists for books. When I hear a song that moves me, I either know immediately which book it goes with or sometimes I put it in the future playlist. I start each day taking my dog for a walk.  During this time, I listen to the playlist for the current project, which gets me in the mood.  If I’m struggling, I listen to random music and sometimes that will give me a new song that inspires me to move forward. 

S:  I wish I was that organized. If I need music, I usually go to the New York Metropolitan Opera site and click on what's available.

Complete this sentence, "When one of my books is released, I..."

B:  I’m not a big drinker, but on release day I have a drink and chocolate to celebrate. If my children are in town, we go out for drinks and dessert. 

S:  Do you read reviews?

B:  I look to see if I have reviews and what the average rating is. I read them to see what people liked and did not like so that I can improve my work. I try not to dwell on them as they are opinions and we all have them. What works for me may not work for you. Unfortunately, in today's market, in order to get more exposure, you are sometimes required to have a plateau of reviews to move to the next level of advertising.

S:  I have to admit, I read all of my reviews. It helps me get a sense of who is reading my books. Some have been scathing, but it balances out.

What is the best advice you have ever given?

B:  Write the damn book! Don’t keep starting over. If you want to be a writer, you have to prove to yourself you can finish a book. You can clean it up later.

S:  What inspired, "Another Night Alone?"

B:  I lived on the side of a mountain when I was young. I’d only lived there a couple of months and there was only one other child my age to play with. We were running in the woods when I saw a little girl who was very pale with white hair. The kid I was with told me to stay away from her because she looked funny and wasn’t normal. I thought she looked like a beautiful angel. Growing up, we moved often and I understood what it was like to be ignored because I dressed differently or had a different accent.  I never forgot her.

S:  Is there anything special you want people to know about "Another Night Alone?"

B:  The cover for this book is special to me. I saw the model on Pinterest several years ago and immediately knew he was my character, Deke Ward. When I finally wrote Deke’s book, I could not find any photo to use for the cover that compared with my mental image. Covers are important to me and I was beside myself.  My oldest son was helping me with the graphics. Without telling me, he found out who the model was and wrote to him and explained that he had been the inspiration for the character and why it meant so much to me. The gentleman and photographer offered my son a photo they had no intention of using. It turned out it was perfect for my book. Kindness and generosity are alive and well.

Here's the blurb--

She'd had the courage to save her child. Will she be able to save herself?

Avie’s dreams of a better future for herself and her daughter are shattered when the shadows of their past threaten their new life. With their dreams on the line once again, Avie knows giving in will cost her everything, but is she strong enough to fight back?

She is the light to his dark ….

Deke Ward has witnessed true evil in his life. When he finds the goodness in Avie and her young daughter, he’ll do anything to protect them. Their hope starts to heal his lonely heart and when the evil shadows of their past return to haunt them, he’ll go to hell and back to save them.

Even if it means letting them go.


S:  That gave me the shivers! I know your book won't be released until July 29. Is it available for preorder?

B:  Yes. Here's the link--https://www.amazon.com/Another-Night-Alone-Aspen-Gold-ebook/dp/B097CQMR88

S:  Bernadette, thanks so much for joining me today and good luck with "Another Night Alone." If you'd like to learn more about Bernadette and her books, please visit--

Website:  https://www.bernadettejones.com/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/BernadetteJonesAuthor

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/RomanceBJones

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/bernadettejonesauthor/https

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/19728724.Bernadette_Jones

Books2Read:  http://books2read.com/ap/RaKd7J/Bernadette-Jones

Amazon Author Page https://www.amazon.com/Bernadette-Jones/e/B07ZY84C6K/

Aspen Gold Series Page on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081YPJ5V8

Bernadette’s Newsletter:  http://www.bernadettejones.com/newsletters

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Seelie for letting me visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Write the damn book! Don’t keep starting over. If you want to be a writer, you have to prove to yourself you can finish a book. You can clean it up later."

    Best advice ever!

    ReplyDelete