Friday, September 3, 2021

This week in The Loft: Author Laura Haley-McNeil

Joining me today in The Loft is author Laura Haley-McNeil. Laura writes contemporary romance and romantic suspense. Employed full-time, Laura squeezes in writing after hours, settled in a wingback chair with footstool, her laptop propped up on her lap, and her notes on a music stand. Laura and husband recently left warm California for cooler Colorado, where they enjoy hiking, bicycling, horseback riding, and snow skiing. When Laura catches a few free moments, she sneaks off and reads, gardens, and crochets.

Author Laura Haley-McNeil

S:  Good morning, Laura! Thanks for joining me today.

Why write romance?

L:  Romance is everywhere. People love love. Even in the most brutal of genres, there’s a romance in there somewhere so it’s hard to get away from it. I read that about a screenplay that a well-known writer, whose name escapes me, had submitted and it was immediately rejected because there no hint of romance in the story. The producer/director was convinced that unless there was at least one woman and that there was some romantic interest no matter how subtle, the story wouldn’t appeal to audiences. I found that interesting and started to pay more attention to movies, even ones that focused on war or horror or a genre that I thought wouldn’t have room for romance, but it was there. As for writing romance novels, there’s nothing I like more than when the characters reach the point where they have to walk away or admit that life without this person isn’t what they want. I always want a  happily-ever-after and love it when I can bring opposites together and know their lives will be full.

S:  Yes, there's a certain satisfaction in bringing people and helping them build a good relationship, even if only on paper.

Which do you prefer—brains or brawn?

L:  It depends. What really draws me is charisma. I love a guy who’s quick and witty and laughs a lot. Looks just fade away once I dig past that superficial layer and find the person who lives inside. Brawn is beautiful, but if there’s nothing underneath, my ADHD takes over and I’m looking around again. Courage is important, too. Even if a guy uses wit to get out of a sticky situation, I love someone who stops at nothing to get what he wants.

S:  Do you remember your first kiss?

L:  Unfortunately, I do, and it was memorable for all the wrong reasons. It was the worst kiss ever. With that, I could only go uphill from there. I hope that guy never married, or at least learned how to kiss better. Thankfully, I had a much better second kiss, otherwise, I would have been scarred for life.

S:  I got my first kiss at five and was sent to the principal's office. I had no idea what all the fuss was about. Still, it took me until seventh grade to try again. Then I had an "ah-hah" moment!

If you had it to do over again, would you still choose to write books?

L:  If it were in my control, no, I wouldn’t write. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to get away from it. Other authors out there are nodding. Once the muse grabs you, she never lets go. She continues to fill your mind with stories and the only release is to put them down on paper. But she’s never satisfied. The stories keep coming and I keep writing. I don’t want to discourage anyone. If you want to write a book, by all means do. But just remember that once you start writing, you can’t stop. It’s worse than eating one potato chip. The urge to write will dog you for the rest of your life. You may step away for a while, but I guarantee, you’ll forget the pain and think it wasn’t so bad and start writing again, and then you’ll remember--there’s  no rehab for a writer.

S:  You are so right. I have tried to step away and I've always been pulled back in.

What famous book do you wish you had written?

L:  “Pride and Prejudice.” The book is perfect with its timing of the inciting incident, the midpoint, the climax, and the denouement. I love how she captures the time period and the plight of women. I also love Elizabeth’s independence. She had to have been shocking. And to think she wrote this without writing courses or critique groups or the thousand of other advantages we have nowadays.  Jane Austen was one remarkable woman.

S:  Good choice. 

What do people get wrong about writing romance?

L:  Many people think romance is synonymous with erotica or a similar genre, which is sad. Romance can be sexy, but it’s about the relationship and the conflict the characters overcome in order to experience that love. When the reader turns the last page, she should believe love conquers all. Other subplots of the story may not be resolved, but the love aspect should leave no question. The hero and heroine have found the love they were meant to have and it will keep them together forever. It has to be satisfying, otherwise the mark has been missed.

S:  What inspired “Love Calls Softly?”

L:  “Love Calls Softly” was a labor of love. The Outer Banks is a beautiful and fascinating place with its islands and history. I love the beach so it was easy to imagine the waves and the weather and the wildlife. I also like how young people work hard to establish their lot in life, but when life throws them a curve and throws them off track, they need to face it head on and be tuned into the changes they may have to make.

S:  Is there anything you would like people to know about “Love Calls Softly?”

L:  It's Book 4 of the Beaumont Brides Series. Dreaming up the characters was fun. Tessa is a midwestern farm girl who can’t wait to start her career at a New York finance company. Dillon is based on an actor from the 1980s, Jon-Erik Hexum, who probably would have had a great career if life hadn’t thrown him a curve. Exceedingly handsome and very charismatic, he’s my type of guy, so I was glad to give him a role in my book.

Here's the blurb--

How did this corporate head honcho wind up as her bakeshop assistant?

Tessa Carlisle enjoys her new life of living in her friend’s massive beach house no one in her family uses and working at Betty’s Bakeshop in an idyllic Outer Banks community—until Dillon Lowe shows up. And what’s he doing sacking out in her bedroom and using her shower? Though Tessa’s never seen any man look this good in boxers.

When Betty needs help at the bakeshop, she makes the terrible mistake of accepting Dillon’s offer to help. This San Francisco executive has his meals catered. He’ll never find his way around the bakery.

But it isn’t just the bakeshop Tessa wants to protect. It’s her heart. Each moment she spends with Dillon knocks down another wall she’s built around her feelings. Why can’t she remember he doesn’t plan to stay?

Maybe that’s a good thing, because the only way she can quell these turbulent emotions is for him to go away.



S:  Sounds like a great story! Where can readers buy your book?

L:  It’s available on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097NNZX87.

S:  Laura, thanks so much for joining me today. If you’d like to learn more about Laura and her books, please visit—

Website and Blog:  https://laurahaleymcneil.com/

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/laurarmcneil

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/LauraHaleyMcNeil/

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/lauramcneil/

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6470538.Laura_Haley_McNeil

BookBub:  https://www.bookbub.com/profile/laura-haley-mcneil

Amazon Author Page:  https://www.amazon.com/Laura-Haley-McNeil/e/B008S3WD10 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Seelie! It's wonderful to be here. Thanks so much for sharing my new boo, Love Calls Softly, with your followers. This story was a labor of love as Tessa and Dillon are two wounded souls trying to protect their hearts. To place this story in the idyllic Outer Banks made it fun. I hope your readers enjoy the book!

    Laura Haley-McNeil

    ReplyDelete