Friday, May 6, 2022

This week in The Loft: Author Amara Dey!

Joining me today in The Loft is Amara Dey. A paranormal romance author, Amara writes novels with a mortal/immortal love connection, served with a massive dose of sensuous other-worldly desire and magic. She focuses on stories that are multi-racial and multi-cultural, highlighting female characters who work hard to overcome adversities in pursuit of their goals. When not writing, Amara enjoys reading, movies, Salsa dancing, and travel. Born in Guyana, South America, Amara now lives in London, England.

Author Amara Dey

S:  Good morning, Amara! Thanks for joining me today. 

Why write romance?

A:  It makes me happy. Romance is a feel-good, positive, and optimistic genre. And it is also about the woman. I adore a hot sexy man in a good romance and dedicate at least 40 percent of the story to my heroes. But it is mainly about the heroines, their desires, conflicts, and journeys. And I think many readers read romance for these reasons.

S:  I think you're right. We offer an escape from reality and sometimes, readers need that. 

Do you write in other genres? 

A:  So far, I have only written paranormal romance. It is the genre that interests me the most. The sheer escapism of it appeals to me. However, I do have some ideas about a children’s adventure story and also something Scifi that I’ve made notes on.

S:  When it comes to writing romance, do you consider yourself a dreamer or a realist?

A:  Definitely a dreamer. My romance stories are all about everlasting love. It is a dream of mine as I have never experienced love eternal. It has always been in and out for me. But I remain hopeful.

S:  Are there any characteristics your lead characters share?

A:  Oh, yes. My lead male is always an Alpha. Strong, courageous, handsome men who complete the love of their lives. The same goes for the ladies. And a trend, in the Decagon novels at least, is that they are all fabulous dancers.

S:  Gotta love a man who can dance. There is nothing better than literally being swept off your feet. I am a big fan of "the dip."

Do you adhere to tropes when writing romance? Which ones do you enjoy writing? Are there any that make you squirm?

A:  Opposites attract is what I aim for and enjoy writing about. I can’t think of any that make me squirm.

S:  What inspires your stories?

A:  On a deep level, two people finding their one true love. Their soul mate. That’s what inspires the romance side of my stories. The fantasy adventures my characters have is me letting rip with my imagination. And enjoying the adventure right alongside my characters.

S:  What inspired "No Mere Mortal?"

A:  I’ve always been fascinated by myths and magic. I loved hearing the stories about the Latino pantheon of Gods, known as the Orishas, told to me by a Cuban friend. The legends associated with these deities are all about their passionate love affairs and adventures, which gave me the idea for "No Mere Mortal." And with their distinct personalities, wide variety of strengths, weaknesses, and interests, the divinities helped inspire my characters, too.

Here's the blurb--

A mortal fights against the odds to save her lover and his magical world from destruction.

Venus Myles, orphaned at birth, is a London-based dance teacher and unaware of her divine lineage – that is, until a strange encounter thrusts her into a world of Gods and magic.

She learns from Bolt, a disgraced deity from the planet Decagon, that she is his realm’s savior, and a passionate connection sizzles between them. But when Bolt unexpectedly disappears, a determined Venus travels to Decagon to find him and learn more about her destiny.

Assuming, of course, she can escape the powerful and deadly witch Ansa, who wants her dead, find Bolt, and tap into her dormant magical abilities.

And do it in time to stop an apocalypse that will destroy her, Bolt, his world, and his kind.

S:  That sounds like an engrossing tale. Where can readers buy "No Mere Mortal?"

A:  It's available at--

Publisher:  https://www.extasybooks.com/amara-dey

Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/No-Mere-Mortal-Decagon-Book-ebook/dp/B07MLMQYYJ\

Amazon UK:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Mere-Mortal-Decagon-Book-ebook/dp/B07MLMQYYJ/

Barnes and Noble:  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/no-mere-mortal-amara-dey/1130327026?ean=2940156307777

Kobo:  https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/no-mere-mortal

S:  Amara, thanks for joining me today. If you'd like to learn more about Amara and her books, please visit--



1 comment: