Thursday, May 19, 2022

This week in The Loft: Author Bernadette Jones!

Joining me today in The Loft is Bernadette Jones. Bernadette writes tales of romantic suspense and mystery. Her books are filled with strong heroes and heroines who are looking for an equal partner in their search for answers, justice, and love. She is currently participating in the Aspen Gold Series, where as one of six authors, her stories revolve around the main character, the town patriarch. Bernadette currently resides in New York City with her canine companion.

Author Bernadette Jones

S:  Good morning, Bernadette. Welcome to The Loft!

Why write romance?

B:  Romance is about hope. Hope for a better life, hope for love and support, hope for a better future for the next generation. That hope is built on the interpersonal connections we make with others--family, friends, lovers. Romance is all about relationships. Romance is one of the few genres that are primarily written for women by women. It’s our special place where we can subtly help each other. When I was young, I learned about date rape drugs from romances. I learned that abuse was verbal as well as physical. “If you don’t like the way the world is, you change it. You have an obligation to change it. You just do it one step at a time.” Marian Wright Edelman.

S:  When it comes to romance, do you consider yourself a dreamer or a realist?

B:  Both. My father worked construction and my family moved a lot when I was growing up. I was exposed to some really opulent communities and poverty-stricken towns. I learned that life wasn’t fair and you had to work hard for what you wanted. Dreams kept you going when reality was harsh. My characters are based on real life and struggles that they overcome.

S:  Are there any characteristics your lead characters share?

B:  My heroes are protectors. Either because of the way they were raised or a military or public service background, they will always take care of those who need help or consider family. My heroines are smart, strong, independent and confident in their own abilities. My characters believe in honest communication. They don’t go to the basement out of spite when the scary music starts.

S:  That's an important message for everyone on what makes or breaks a relationship. 

Do you adhere to tropes when writing romance? Which ones do you enjoy writing? Are there any tropes that make you squirm?

B:  I write romantic suspense. There are certain tropes that are inherent to that subgenre-- close proximity, enemies to lovers, friends to lovers, fake relationship, best friend's brother/sister. My favorites are probably close proximity and enemies to lovers. But honestly, I get the idea for a book and plot the story first. I do not worry about a trope that might fit. When the book is done, I look to see if I hit any tropes. Getting the story right is most important to me.

S:  I'm the same way. Tropes aren't a consideration when I write. 

What inspires your stories?

B:  Music. I mentioned earlier that we moved a lot. My dad drove everywhere, so the radio was our constant companion. I’ve started out in Nebraska then, lived in the north, south, east, and west of the country. The type of music was significantly influenced by where we were. Listening to the songs, stories would pop into my head. Sometimes based on the song, or sometimes just a phrase. I’ve had whole ideas come from a single word. I also get inspiration in coffee shops and restaurants. Yes, I eavesdrop on conversations. If you catch me typing on my phone, you know what just happened.

S:  What inspired "A Better Man?"

B:  I should explain that I am a plotter/planner who is character-driven. As I wrote my first Aspen Gold book, "Sleepin’ Alone," I already knew that secondary characters, Gage, Ivy, Owen, Deke, would have the next books. As I wrote those books, Breezy, Sage, Levi, Keane, Chauncey and Fletch have been added to the list. My two main characters in "A Better Man," were not originally planned for each other. They both came to me independently while I was working on other books. JackDaniels Vaughn was the long-lost brother of a character in "Stay A Little Longer." He had a harder edge. Breezy Richards was a survivor who was willing to thumb her nose at the world. Her shop, Intimate Whimzy, actually came to me before her character. As I got to know both of them over four other books, I realized they were a perfect match.

S:  One of the things I love about writing a series is the ability to develop multiple characters and give them their own stories.

Is there anything special you would like people to know about "A Better Man?"

B:  My heroine is a pole sport performer, also known as a pole dancer. Pole work is a sport, soon to be added to the Olympics just like other gymnastic sports. Most people would be shocked at the physical strength required. I immersed myself in videos, documentaries, written descriptions and reports. I am excited to see that people are finally seeing it as an artistic expression. The heroine--Breezy--is loosely based on a young woman I met several years ago. She worked in a gentlemen’s club while putting herself through college. Her family was unable to help with her education and she didn’t want the horrific debt many of her friends were left with after graduation. She had a very specific game plan and goal. Which I’m proud to say she achieved.

Here's the blurb--

Stripped of everything, her life threatened, she’s forced to trust a stranger. 

Kicked out of her home as a teenager, Breezy Richards made a life for herself. Never asking permission or explaining her choices. Always in control of her destiny. Now she’s hiding from a stalker, trying to stay alive back in the one place she never thought she’d call home again: Spencer, Colorado.

The military had been the only escape for JackDaniels Vaughn. He quickly embraced the loner lifestyle, committed only to the next mission and his comrades. He’d sworn never to settle down moving from job to job, city to city, always searching for the elusive sense of purpose. Until he’s asked to protect Breezy Richards.  

Loving her made him a better man. Can he keep her alive long enough to tell her?

S:  I wasn't aware that pole dancing was a sport, but I know it's beyond my skill set. This sounds like a suspenseful tale--stalkers always give me chills. Where can readers buy your book?

B:  It's available at all major booksellers, including--

Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YS786D6

Barnes & Noble:  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-better-man-bernadette-jones/1141346387

Apple:  https://books.apple.com/us/book/id1618814744

Kobo:  https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/a-better-man-28

 Universal link:  https://books2read.com/u/4jgwQY

 S:  Bernadette, thanks so much for joining me today. If you'd like to learn more about Bernadette and her books, please visit--

Website:  https://www.bernadettejones.com/newsletters

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/BernadetteJonesAuthor/

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/RomanceBJones

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/bernadettejonesauthor

LinkTree: https://linktr.ee/BernadetteJonesAuthor

Newsletter signup:  https://www.bernadettejones.com/

1 comment: