Friday, July 8, 2022

This week in The Loft: Author Bethany Drake!

Joining me in The Loft today is author Bethany Drake. Bethany writes futuristic and urban fantasy romance, with a lot of heat. The author of the erotic Sci-Fi romance series, Desire's Duty, and the paranormal romance series, Tears of the Wolf, Bethany says she writes in her own little world, creating new worlds for her characters. She is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC) and is a big fan of the UNCC 49ers football team. The owner of several cats, Bethany tells people it’s her crazy cat lady starter kit. 


The avatar of author Bethany Drake

S:  Good morning, Bethany. Welcome to The Loft!

How has romance changed in your lifetime?

B:  I don’t think romance has changed that much. The way a couple might meet has changed a lot, but not romance.

S:  Is true romance--the wooing, courtship, passion, seduction, the little gestures of affection, etc.--dead? 

B:  I don’t think it’s dead. I love to see couples who have been married a long time hold hands in public. Or be out to dinner and get a single rose. Something so simple can make you feel loved and special.

S:  If you were suddenly transported back to Victorian England as a member of the aristocracy, would you thrilled or appalled? Would you be willing to stay there permanently?

B:   No, thank you. I think the smells would be what I’d want to get away from. Would it be fascinating to see that era up close? Of course, but I wouldn’t want to stay.

S:  I imagine the lack of regular bathing and the overuse of cologne to cover up unappealing smells would be cloying.

What do people get wrong about writing romance?

B:  They think they can just put words together and publish your book. Every book should still go through the editing process. Self-published authors hire editors and readers to help them make their book the best it can be.

S:  I am always amused when people make it sound so easy. It takes a lot of work to write a book.

What do people get wrong about publishing a book?

B:  They think it’s easy. There’s the editing, then the proofing. Giving the artist enough information to get you a cover you’ll like. And let’s not forget the deadlines that need to be met to get the book out on the date predicted, and I have a publisher to help me with that. Then there’s the media kit, promotion…that list is endless.

S:  I think people would be surprised at the amount of promotion involved. The tasks seem endless.

What inspired your newest release, "The Power of the Tears?"

B:  My main character, Katherine, kept pestering me to write her story. She deserved romance like everyone else. After we talked, I knew where I was setting it and the rest was magic.

S:  Is there anything special you would like people to know about "The Power of the Tears?"

B:  This book three in the Tears of the Wolf series and can be enjoyed independently. In addition, I sort of fell in love with Jacques as I developed his character. Each time I wrote about him I had a clear vision of what he looked like. It was like I was there in the scene.

Here's the blurb--

Catherine is second in command in her pack and Max, her alpha, has made arrangements for her to visit a pack who has had three women murdered in a ritualistic manner. She isn’t looking forward to visiting a pack whose alpha believes women should only be mates and mothers. As the pack historian she has the knowledge needed to help the local sheriff solve the murders.

Jacques is the oldest son of the pack alpha, but an injury when he was young keeps him from shifting. He had to step back as the heir-apparent and let his brother rule. He’s now their sheriff. The moment he meets Catherine he wants something he feels he’s not worthy of. How could such a beautiful, successful werewolf want him?

The passion between them is powerful. Catherine starts to wonder if it’s interfering with her solving the murders. Jacques is determined to keep Catherine safe when it appears she may be the next victim. Can they solve the murders together? Can they have a happily ever after?


S:  Where can readers buy your book?

B:  It's available at--


S:  Bethany, thanks for joining me today. If you'd like to learn more about Bethany and her books, please visit--

1 comment: