Friday, September 9, 2022

This week in The Loft: Author D. V. Stone!

Joining me this week in The Loft is award-winning author D. V. Stone. D. V. writes fantasy, contemporary, and paranormal romance, as well as romantic suspense. Before retiring, she held a variety of positions, including Emergency Medical Technician in a women’s state prison, and the proprietor of a coffee shop and a small restaurant/ice cream stand.  When not behind the wheel of 2Hoots, a Fifth Wheel camper, she rambles around northern New Jersey in a white Camaro. 

Author D. V. Stone

S:  Good morning, D. V. Thanks for joining me in The Loft!

What do people get wrong about publishing a book?

D:  That it’s easy. A lot of time, effort, self-doubt, and heartache can go into a manuscript. Rejection by agents, editors, and publishers can squash your spirit. Another myth is that we make a lot of money—pennies on the dollar for most of us. There are millions of books out there. Trying to get someone to spend their hard-earned money on you is a daunting task. Sometimes, it takes years to get a book published. The editing process itself can take months to a year.

S:  I love it when people tell me they could write a book. I always reply, "Then why don't you?"

What do people get wrong about writing romance?

D:  Many people consider it fluff. Let me tell you, romance books deal with life--all the nitty gritty down and dirty parts of it. Our characters often have obstacles most of us deal with daily. And if I include a happily ever after—sue me. HEAs make me happy.

S:  I have to agree. Romance comes in all shapes and sizes, and it is woven into our daily lives in ways we barely notice. I think the difference is that romance tales focus on the romance, while other genres focus on other elements.

If you had to do it all over again, would you still choose to write books?

D:  Despite all the obstacles, yes. I find it fulfilling and enjoyable most of the time.

S:  Do you write in genres other than romance?

D:  I do. In the beginning, I considered myself a fantasy writer, but now six years later, my bookshelf is fantasy romance, contemporary romance in the subgenres of romantic suspense and various levels of paranormal romance, and I’m working on my first historical action-adventure romance. There is romance in all of my books. People sometimes look down on romance books. But so many of the classics have romantic elements. They just aren’t called romance.

S:  What attracted you to your current partner?

D:  Funny story about my husband of 28 years, Pete. We met in a women’s state prison. He was a new corrections officer and I’d been an EMT there for several years. Recently divorced, I wasn’t looking for another relationship—but several of my co-workers had a different idea. One officer went to work and convinced me that Pete wanted to go on a date with me. The other did the same to him. It was our first argument. “You wanted to go out with me. No, you wanted to go out with me.” Well, I ended up falling in love with his kindness, humor, and sincerity. After the first date, we were like peas and carrots. Engaged within three months and married in a year. Twenty-eight later, I’m still in love. He’s my best friend, biggest cheerleader, and an all-around great guy.

S:  What a great story! What inspired your book, "Jazz House?"

D:  "Jazz House" is my second book about First Responders and people making an impact in the lives of others. As a former EMT, I understand their life and dedication. "Rock House Grill" was Book One, and the main character is an EMT. In "Jazz House," the main character is a police officer. In the past, I owned a small restaurant as well as a coffee shop, and I love to cook, so basing them in restaurants felt natural.

S:  Is there anything special you would like people to know about "Jazz House?"

D:  Sadly, so many think harshly about our police force. The small percentage of bad cops has tarnished the rest. I know these people. Most are heroes. Michael Machau is a small city police officer. He loves his friends. He rescues dogs. He keeps the people safe. He loves Jordon. Michael is like most of the cops I know. Also, my next in the series, which is a work in progress, will be about firefighters.

Here's the blurb--

Jordan Vasilakis is on the run, living under an assumed name. After a disastrous marriage to a notorious Greek business tycoon, she flees to the States and starts rebuilding her life. But her ruthless husband is determined to destroy her…once he finds her.

Michael Machau is drawn to the new singer at Jazz House restaurant, but the guarded woman is harboring dangerous secrets. The dedicated police officer may have to risk more than just his heart to forge a connection with the woman he knows as Madeline Cielo, especially when he discovers she’s living a lie.

Worlds collide. Lies entangle. Survival, much less love, is in question. They must quickly distinguish friends from enemies or risk losing everything—including a future together.

S:  That sounds suspenseful! Where can readers buy "Jazz House?"

D:  It's available at--

Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-House-Impact-Book-2-ebook/dp/B0B1Z2KKN8

Barnes and Noble:  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jazz-house-d-v-stone/1141502643

iTunes:  https://books.apple.com/us/book/jazz-house/id6442847677

Universal Link:  https://books2read.com/u/mZQq0e

Book Trailer:  https://youtu.be/VKyvNBD56e8

S:  D. V., thanks for joining me today. If you'd like to learn more about D. V. and her books, please visit--

Website:  https://www.dvstoneauthor.com/

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/d.v.stone/

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today. I love talking about books, and the author life. D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great interview. We don't hear enough about the good cops, even though that's most of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The news is the news because they have to sensationalize everything to cover 24-hour multi-channel stations. There's bad in every corner. Thanks for popping in. D.

      Delete
  3. i love your response to the romance writing comments!! So true. And I had to chuckle at where you and your husband met! i bet that gets a great response when someone asks that in person. Gobs of luck with Jazz House!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, no lie. We used to go on couples retreats with our church. At the getting-to-know-you part, Pete would throw out, "we met in a woman's prison." Then we'd let it lay there for a while. Can I tell you, the faces were priceless. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Great interview Ladies! I agree, writing/publishing isn't for the faint of heart! Good luck and God's blessings with your new book. PamT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Pam. True. But I'd still take the leap. I love the process even with all the work. Thanks for stopping by. D.

    ReplyDelete