Friday, March 17, 2023

This week in The Loft: Author D. V. Stone!

Joining me today in The Loft is author D. V. Stone. An award-winning, multi-genre, traditionally and independently published author, D. V. writes fantasy, romantic suspense, contemporary, mid-grade, and historical tales, all of which include a bit of romance. Her stories focus on the importance of friends and family. Married for almost 29 years, she and her husband have one son and three grandchildren. While her home base is in Northern New Jersey, D.V. spends January to April in sunny Florida. 

Author D. V. Stone

S:  Good morning, D. V. Thanks for joining me in The Loft!

Do you think romance books have become “too spicy?”

D:  I write on the sweet side. Closed doors and fade to black. I don’t know about books being too spicy. Everyone has different things they are comfortable with. I read books that are more on the spicy side at times. If it’s too much for me, I’ll flip past it. Art is subjective, and so are books. Even though I lean farther to the conservative side, I vehemently oppose banning books. I do believe in parental responsibility and the options being offered. No one should be forced to read a book, and no one should be denied the opportunity.

S:  That's a very good point. Recent calls for bans on books are really troubling. 

Some critics say romance novels mislead readers about the reality of romance and in fact, give readers false expectations. Do you agree?

D:  That's such a dumb idea. What about fantasy, sci-fi, and cozy mysteries? Hello? Fiction is not reality. I read to escape. I read for enjoyment. I love the idea of love. The news is not reality. I say that because they make every terrible thing look like it’s our way of life. It’s the news because it’s out of the normal. Should we ban Hallmark movies because they are unrealistic? Video games because a short plumber is in love with a princess? Give me romance and fantasy any day.

S:  Do you believe in love at first sight? 

D:  I believe in attraction at first sight, but love can be right behind it. I’d met my husband a few times at work. After our first date, it was love. We got engaged after a month and married within the year. That was 28 years ago.

S:  When you know, you know.

Have you ever shelved or thrown out a manuscript? 

D:  The first story I wrote seven years ago is still a work in progress. Basically, it was a stream of thoughts and giant at 160,000 words. It sat on the shelf, and I took it out periodically. Lately, I’ve been working on it and hope to whip it into shape.

S:  Wow. I can't imagine writing a book of that length. When I write, the journalist in me takes over, and wants something short and sweet. It's a struggle between that training and actually allowing a story to play out. Plus, I am an impatient writer and reader. I want to get to the end!

What inspired "Sea Hunter?"

D:  "Sea Hunter" is my first historical/paranormal tale. It’s part of a seven-author series of standalone novellas tied together with a mystical Mortar & Pestle. My previous releases are in different genres, and I wanted to try something new. It needed to fit with the series of a time-traveling magical item that reveals a person’s true love and heart’s desire. It was a blast to write. 

Here's the blurb for the series--

A wisp of smoke, a swirl of promise, a breath of destiny…a message within the Mortar & Pestle for those who want to believe. Throughout time people have sought their heart’s desire. But true love is often elusive. Carved with ancient Norse runes, the Mortar & Pestle shows paths to happily-ever-afters. Once you capture the Mortar & Pestle’s scent of magic, you’ll want to read all seven individual romances. 

S:  Is there anything special you would like people to know about "Sea Hunter?

D:  An amazing amount of research needed to go into "Sea Hunter." It takes place post--WWII when technology was growing in leaps and bounds. I visited naval museums, shipyards, and a pirate museum from Freeport, Maine to Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I also enjoyed learning about the vernacular of the times. The 40s were quite a colorful time.

Here's the blurb--

Zahra Corbyn.

As the professor of antiquities, nothing snaps my cap more than treasure hunters and looters. They smash and grab and then are gone with the wind. And there are two after Sea Wraith. But fate is a funny thing. Thanks to an ancient Mortar and Pestle, not only am I in cahoots with one of them but he’s also fired up my heart, turning me into a khaki-wacky.

Captain Jack Alexander.

I’ve been told women on a ship are unlucky, but this dame has the two pieces of the map I need to finally claim Sea Wraith. Now, I find myself in a lousy deal that makes me one-third partner with her and a known scalawag. It’s either that or bupkis. After all these years of chasing down my dream of finding the shipwreck, my obsession is cooling off and heating up toward a bird who’s way above my pay grade.

Can the two unlikely allies work together while safeguarding their hearts against the power of the Mortar and Pestle?


S:  That sounds like a fun adventure tale! Where can readers buy your book?


S:  D. V., thanks so much for joining me today and congratulations on your latest book! If you'd like learn more about D. V. and her books, please visit--

Link Tree 

Website / Amazon Author Page / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram /Pinterest / Bookbub / Goodreads / Newsletter / YouTube / Around the Fire blog

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today. I love talking about books and writing. D.

    ReplyDelete