Friday, May 19, 2023

This week in The Loft: Author Ann Raina!

Joining me today in The Loft is fellow Extasy author Ann Raina. The author of more than 30 books, Ann writes contemporary and erotic romance, and romantic suspense and science fiction. Her series include The BodyguardLiving for the Act, and Nick and Jacklyn. She blames her career as a writer on Han Solo and her love for writing fanfiction. Ann lives and works in Germany, where she enjoys spending time with her horse and two cats. 

S:  Good morning, Ann! Thanks for visiting The Loft!

What’s love got to do with writing romance?

A:  If you’re living in a loving relationship, you’ll find many sweet little moments to include in your writing. If not, you can at least imagine such moments or listen to your friends reporting about their relationships. Love has a lot to do with how you write romance. You’re by far more credible if you speak out of experience.

S:  Critics say romance novels mislead readers about the reality of romance and in fact, give readers false expectations. Do you agree?

A:  No. On the one hand, readers want to escape reality and slip into the warm embrace of a romance story. On the other hand, there’s so much love in many relationships that the stories we as romance authors write aren’t that far away from reality. In many cases, I've heard stories from friends and felt a warmth in my heart that I tried to project into my stories. Nicolas and Jacklyn have a unique relationship, and they love each other dearly. Because of that and to beat the clichés of women being disappointed by the police officer lover, this love will last. So if you as a reader are into intact relationships that aren’t hassled by fabricated drama, join me.

S:  I think it's important to remember that a romance author's goal usually is to provide an escape from reality. 

Do you remember your first kiss? What was memorable about it?

A:  My first kiss wasn’t that romantic at all. The young man wanted too much at once, and I shied away from the sudden and previously unknown intimacy. I guess I frustrated him more than I brought him joy.

S:  What would you like to people know about you?

A:  Writing erotic romance and thriller novels isn’t my only hobby. I’m also a passionate rider, have a garden I take care of, and I’m a yoga trainee. I found out that riding and yoga fit well together–while the first one needs strength and stamina, the latter helps me stay flexible.

S:  I have found yoga an essential part of aging. It is the key to a peaceful mind and a healthy body.

What inspired "Best Intentions?"

A:  It’s the tenth book in my series. With this book, my muse and I were trying to break new ground. It started with a conversation with a friend about marine pollution. Then we took it a step further—how far would people go to protect marine wildlife? Would they protest peacefully or would they attack polluters? It was interesting brainstorming. That's how this book was created.

S:  Is there anything special you would like people to know about "Best Intentions?"

A:  I hope the story will inspire some readers to think about environmental protection. That is a wonderful thought.

Here's the blurb--

The man with the baseball cap stifled a grin as he approached the jetty that was still blocked by the police. Among other spectators, he watched the still smoldering remnants of the fishing boats. When he had seen enough, he walked away, and his smile turned to a full laugh.



S:  It sounds like a thought-provoking book. Where can readers buy "Best Intentions?"


S:  Ann, thanks so much for joining me today. If you'd like to learn more about Ann and her books, please visit--

Website:  annraina.org

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/ann_raina_author/

No comments:

Post a Comment