Friday, May 26, 2023

This week in The Loft: An interview with Gayle M. Irwin!

Joining me today in The Loft is award-winning author Gayle M. Irwin.  Gayle writes sweet contemporary, later-in-life romance stories set in the Rocky Mountain West.  She is also a contributing writer to eight Chicken Soup for the Soul books and the author of many inspirational pet books for children and adults. Gayle retired from her day-job in December 2022 to pursue writing full-time. She enjoys traveling, especially to national parks, forests, and wildlife refuges, and nature photography. Gayle lives with her husband, Greg, and their rescued pets--Murphy, a nearly 18-year-old longhaired tuxedo cat; Sadie, a brown and white springer spaniel; and Jeremiah, a black and white shih tzu who is a puppy mill survivor and the mascot for her Pet Rescue Romance series.

Author Gayle M. Irwin

S:  Good morning, Gayle. Thanks for joining me today!

What’s love got to do with writing romance?

G:  As an older romance writer, I reflect upon the times when I was a younger woman in love. I recall the nervousness, excitement, and joy as well as the chemistry shared with the man. Although the word ‘"love" can have different connotations for different people, I think most romance book readers enjoy not just the saucy and spice, but also the sweetness of romance and love, such as hand-holding, tender kisses, cuddles on the couch, and waltzes/dances shared between a couple in a romance story. Love and subtle intimacy equal romance, in my opinion, and therefore, that’s how I write my stories.

S:  Do you write in other genres? 

G:  I’m a multi-genre author, although my focus is on sweet/clean contemporary romance. I recently joined a group of five other sweet and Christian romance authors to release a romance anthology earlier this month titled, You Have Made My Heart. Proceeds from book sales go to a nonprofit. This was my first experience writing for a romance anthology, and I’ll be participating again with these and other authors for a charity anthology for the 2023 holiday season. In addition to sweet romance books, I’ve crafted children’s books and Christian devotions. I enjoy variety, and when I feel called to write in a specific genre, I heed that nudging. I’m currently working on another children’s book and a devotion, in addition to three more romance stories. My goal as an author is to inspire, entertain, and educate, and with the writing that I do, whether for children or for adults, I strive to meet those goals.

S:  What was your worst date ever?

G:  I’ve experienced several ‘not-so-fun’ dates in my life, but the one that stays in my memory happened when I was 21. A friend of mine set me up with a guy she knew--the date was simple enough, dinner and a movie. He and I conversed readily over dinner, and I was enjoying myself. Then, he drove us to the movie theater--to see “The Howling.” I hate horror movies, even those that come close to horror. I refused to go in. He kept saying, “It’s not that bad. It won’t be that bad.” I still refused and asked him to take me home. He said, “Well, we’re already here. Let’s just see the movie.” I began walking home. He caught up with me and reluctantly said he would drive me home, which he did. We never went out again. And I still don’t watch horror movies!


S:  I would have done the same thing. If I watch a horror film, nightmares follow.

What attracted you to your current partner?

G:  I’ve been married for nearly 23 years. Four things attracted me to my husband: his concern for the environment, his smile and laughter, his musical ability, and his love for pets. My dog and cat took to him and he to them, and I thought, “If my pets like him, he must be a great guy.” They were right!

S:  What would you like to people know about you?

G:  I mentioned my concern for the environment and my enjoyment of pets--nature and animals are important to me. I support many conservation causes, from wild horse advocacy to national park preservation. I also support pet rescue organizations. I’ve served as a rescue transporter for various groups, including Mid-America Boston Terrier Rescue and English Springer Spaniel Rescue. I donate a percentage of book sales to such groups, and my books feature rescued animals, from horses and sheep to dogs and cats.

S:  Those are wonderful causes. Although I can't have a pet, my family always adopts rescue cats and dogs.

What is the best/worst thing that has ever happened to you as a writer?

G:  I’ve experienced several positives in my writing career, from reader emails to awards. In January of this year, I was awarded first place by the Wyoming Press Association for a magazine article I wrote in 2022, "Missing and Murdered Indigenous People." I’m proud of the award and grateful for that recognition. The article sheds light on and educates readers about this important topic that still needs a solution.


S:  Congratulations. On the award and the topic. 

If you had to do it all over again, would you still choose to write books?

G:  If I had a life to do over again, I would pursue writing more vigorously and at a younger age. I still find writing thrilling, but I struggle more with novels--I seem to become more easily distracted and travel rabbit trails instead of focusing on the plot and manuscript at hand. I still write short stories--my eighth acceptance into Chicken Soup for the Soul happened in January--and magazine articles, and those shorter works still come fairly easily. I attribute my lack of focus to my older age, and since I’m not getting any younger, I may seek to write shorter romance works in the coming years.

S:  I have the same problem. I think it's due to training as a journalist. We're taught to keep things short and simple. Writing books is so different. We need to take more time developing plots and characters. 

How do you get in the mood for writing?

G:  I write best in the mornings, or at least prior to 2 p.m. I tend to rise early and place myself in front of the computer by 8 or 9 a.m. and work for three to four hours straight. I then eat lunch and either do interviews for magazine articles, work on social media, or watch educational videos on the craft or marketing of writing. I listen to soft, instrumental music as I write, and I sit next to my dog on the couch while watching educational videos. I primarily write in my home office that has windows looking upon bird feeders and a side garden. I also spend time at a friend’s ranch and at my mountain cabin for self-imposed writing retreats. I recently joined two programs by which I’m seeking to improve as an author and businessperson, and I expect to spend more time with those courses during the next few months.

S:  Have you ever shelved or thrown out a manuscript?

G:  I’ve shelved three manuscripts in the past, two of which I’ve brought out to finish this year, and the other I plan to pick up and work on again in 2024. Last year, I threw out a Christmas novella I had started--the characters and direction of the story just wasn’t going where I envisioned it when I started writing. The work is still on my computer, however, and maybe next year I’ll pull it out again … or maybe not.


S:  What do you consider your greatest achievement?

G:  My greatest writing achievement is two-fold--writing the story on "Missing and Murdered Indigenous People" and being recognized for that work, and also having eight stories published in eight Chicken Soup for the Soul books. My most life-fulfilling achievement is helping animals through rescue and adoption. I love serving as a transporter --I get to know the animals that I travel with and I get to help them have a second chance with a new family. Knowing that nearly one million dogs and cats are euthanized in shelters in the U.S. every year breaks my heart, so when I can help alleviate that in a personal way as a transporter as well as through monetary donations and with subtle education within the pages of my books, my heart and soul are uplifted. My own pets are rescues, and I will always adopt instead of purchase from a pet store or breeder. Too many dogs and cats die in shelters every year through no fault of their own, and my life mission is to make a difference for rescue animals and organizations.


S:  Gayle, I'm so glad you could visit today. If you'd like to learn more about Gayle and her books, please visit:
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/GayleMIrwin (author page)

No comments:

Post a Comment