Friday, May 17, 2019

The week in The Loft: Author Kimberly Packard

Joining me today in The Loft is author Kimberly Packard. Kimberly is an award-winning author of edgy women's fiction. Her debut novel, "Phoenix," was named "Best General Fiction of 2013" by the Texas Association of Authors. A graduate of the University of North Texas, Kimberly has worked in public relations and communications for nearly 20 years. She resides in North Texas with her husband, her cat, Oliver, and Charlie, a yellow lab.


Author Kimberly Packard

S:  Welcome, Kimberly! Thanks so  much for joining me today.

Tell me, what is writing to you?

K:  Writing is like breathing. I can’t not do it. If I go too long without writing, I get fidgety, with this weird nervous energy. As authors, we have something extra inside of us and writing gives us the ability to release that.

S:  (Nods.) Even on my "days off," I find myself writing. It's almost instinctive. I simply can't turn it off. My friends hate when I whip out my phone in the middle of a conversation and start typing...

Where do you do your best thinking?

K:  In my car, which makes coming up with a good idea a bit dicey. Thank goodness for the voice recorder app. My first book was almost entirely written in my mind during my daily commute. I love long road trips, especially if I’m driving. That’s where I can just focus on the road and my thoughts.

S:  (Smiles.) Since I work from home, I no longer have a daily commute, but you're right. That was a great time to be alone with my thoughts.

If there is such a thing as reincarnation, what would you like to return to earth as and why?

K:  I’m pretty sure my cat is a reincarnated human, so I want to come back as a cat. Oliver has the perfect life. He gets to sleep 20 hours a day, play with his dog, his parents love him and care for him, and he’s cute enough to raise lots of mischief and not get in trouble for it. I think Oliver must have been the Dalai Lama or something in his previous life. He’s got it that good!

S:  (Laughs.) I always tease my sister about her cats. They truly have a great life. I think they eat better than I do!

A paranormal invites you to host a dinner with five guests, all prominent figures in history who are now deceased. Who would you invite ?

K:  Edgar Allen Poe--I’ve always been fascinated by his stories and poems. Dorothy Parker--As a fierce, feisty member of the Algonquin Roundtable, I loved her short stories. I can imagine that she and I would cause a lot of trouble. William Chaucer--Because I would love to know what he had planned for the rest of the Canterbury Tales. Lucille Ball--Because we need someone to liven up the room once Edgar gets droning on and on about how awful the world is. William Shakespeare--Because he’s freaking Shakespeare!

S:  Wow. I'd like to be a fly on that wall! I imagine Lucy would be pelting some of the others with bread before the end of the evening!

You are offered one of the following gifts: a day back in time, a glimpse into heaven, or perfect health. Which would you take?

K:  I’d take a day back in time. Ten years ago, I lost one of my best friends, and biggest writing cheerleaders, in a sudden accident. We’d been close friends since we were in Kindergarten and I miss her dearly every day. I’d love to just have one more day with Sutton, having a glass of wine, laughing about silly nonsense and enjoying each other’s company.

S:  I'm sorry for your loss. That kind of friendship is so rare these days. And when it's ripped away like that, it has got to be painful.

Tell me about your latest book, "Vortex."

K:  Sure. "Vortex" is a story of family, love, identity and determination set against the thrilling backdrop of Tornado Alley. Here's the blurb--

Constant spinning, round and round and round, temperatures rise and fall from stifling heat to chilling cold, emotions run high in anticipation of what will happen next… there’s a fine line between surviving a tornado and falling in love.

A close encounter with a tornado, during the final months of her doctoral studies, jogs a lost memory to the surface. Desperate to relive the vision and find answers, storm chaser Elaina Adams continually puts her safety at risk by placing herself in the path of dangerous storms.

When betrayal strikes, Elaina is forced to pair up with Robert Tucker. “Tuck” owns a storm chasing tour group and only cares about two things: chasing tornadoes and making his next buck.

Seth Maddux was climbing his way to the top as the star meteorologist for the Forecast channel, but an embarrassing outburst on camera sent his career on a downward spiral. Hoping to reignite his career with a promising field assignment, he meets Elaina and a different kind of flame sparks.

Family secrets surface and passions explode in this twister of a tale.



S:  Storm chasing is such a fascinating backdrop! This sounds like a great story! Where can readers find your book?


S:  Kimberly, thanks so much for joining me today! It has been real pleasure chatting with you. If you would like to learn more about Kimberly and her books, visit--

Twitter and Instagram: @kimberlypackard

Next week in The Loft:  Author Katy Eeten!

No comments:

Post a Comment