Friday, May 3, 2019

This week in The Loft: Author Tina Swayzee McCright!

Joining me today in The Loft is romance author Tina Swayzee McCright. Tina writes romantic cozy mysteries. Her books feature a determined woman trying to solve a crime with the help of her wacky friends and the support of a good man. She lives in Arizona with her huband, "The Irish Charmer." They enjoy slow dancing in unusual locations and playing with their granddaughter. Prior to joining the ranks of "author," Tina was an educator for 25 years.


Tina Swayzee McCright

S:  Thanks so much for joining me today in The Loft, Tina!

Tell me, why do you write romance? 

T:  Romance adds a powerful emotion to stories that most people can relate to on some level. Solving a mystery is fun, but it’s better when there are moments the heroine can laugh with her friends, and it is much better when she can also ride that roller coaster of emotions with the man she falls in love with. We all want to know if they get beyond the conflict keeping them apart. And in a mystery, we want to know if they will live long enough to enjoy the happily ever after.

S:  (Smiles.) Love does make the world go 'round, even when trying to solve a mystery. As always thought Sherlock Holmes needed a little more romance!

Complete this sentence, "Writing is..."

T:  ...my bliss! No kidding. I always felt like there was something missing in my life. I tried all sorts of hobbies and businesses in an attempt to fill that void. It wasn’t until I started writing that the feeling went away. I like to think there was some divine intervention guiding me.

S: (Nods.) We need to write, don't we? I think that's hard for some to understand.

Where do you do your best thinking?

T:  Near water. My husband and I love taking beach vacations. While watching the waves hit the shore, my mind clears, and I can easily jot down ideas for my next book. The problem is I live in Arizona—not exactly a hop, skip, or jump to the ocean, so I take long showers when I’ve written myself into a corner. It eventually works. The problem is not forgetting what I came up with before I dry off and grab a notebook. I need to search Amazon for a waterproof note pad. 

S:  I have been known to flee the most awkward of places to write down an idea. I think it's the curse of being a writer.

What is the best advice you have ever given?

T:  Don’t make life-altering decisions when angry. A friend of mine was mad at her boyfriend and almost broke up with him. I gave her this advice, and she realized there was a better way to deal with the situation. They have now been happily married for years.

S:  What is the best advice you have been given? 

T:  My grandmother once told me not to make major decisions when you don’t know what to do. She was right. I have found that if I wait just a little longer, the information I need to make a decision will come to me.

S:  What inspires your flights of fantasy?

T:  Bon Jovi’s, "It’s My Life." I once read that they wrote the song when they wanted to change the direction of the group and were facing resistance from the music industry. I can relate to that because the book industry tries to pigeonhole authors. When I play that song, I feel free, without limits, and am inspired to write what speaks to me. I have visions of flying.

S:  Tell me about your book, "Euphoria Lane."

T:  This is the first book in my Homeowners' Association Romantic Cozy Mystery Series. It's a Kindle Scout winner, which is like the American Idol for books.

Here's the blurb--

How far will one person go to stop the HOA?

Andi Stevenson knew her life would never be the same after purchasing her new condo on Euphoria Lane. On day one, she finds the body of the Homeowners' Association president. Day two, she discovers the property manager is her former fiance. Day three, the new president begins his campaign of violation letters to force her to move. Day four, her sister, the owner of a detective agency, needs her help with the investigation of the murder. And day five, a full-scale neighborhood war!


S:  Wow. Sounds like there's a lot going on at Euphoria Lane! Where can readers buy your book?

T:  "Euphoria Lane" is available at Amazon and is free on Kindle Unlimited.  Here's the link--https://tinyurl.com/y8cnculy

S:  Tina, thanks so much for joining me today! If you'd like to learn more about Tina and her books, please visit--


Next week in The Loft:  Author Linda O'Connor!

1 comment: