Friday, October 25, 2019

This week in The Loft: Author Jennifer Loring!

Joining me today in The Loft is Devine Destinies author Jennifer Loring. Jennifer writes horror fiction as well as contemporary/sports romance. Her short fiction has been widely published and included in multiple anthologies. Currently teaching  in Southern New Hampshire's University's creative writing program, Jennifer lives in Philadelphia with husband, a turtle, and two basset hounds.


Author Jennifer Loring

S:  Welcome, Jennifer! Thanks so much for joining me today.

Why did you become a writer?

J:  I've always been creative. The first thing I wanted to be was an artist. After reading Stephen King for the first time--Misery at age 11--I started writing my own stories. I had seen my mother doing it all my life at that point, but it was really King who made me realize this was what I wanted to do. I turned out to be far better at expressing myself in written form than visually, although I did end up doing my undergrad in studio art.

S:  Do you write in other genres?

J:  Yes. I am primarily a horror writer and have had about 60 stories, a novel, and two novellas published in that genre. I also dabble in science fiction, fantasy, and occasionally, historical and literary fiction. Horror has been my first love for most of my life, but beyond that, I don't like being boxed in. I write what I feel like writing, regardless of genre. I can't imagine limiting myself. Right now I'm writing two novellas--one is folk horror and the other is dark fantasy romance.

S:  (Nods.)  Genre gets little consideration when I am writing. I write what I write, then try to figure out what box it fits in.

What attracted you to your current partner?

J:  (Laughs.) His butt. He's a soccer player. But what kept me around is his sense of humor and intelligence. He always makes me laugh. We've been together for 14 1/2 years now and married for six. Our anniversary is on Halloween.

S:  (Laughs.) How appropriate for a writer of horror stories!

If you had to do it all over again, would you still choose to write books?

J:  Probably, though I mostly write short fiction anyway. I'm starting my PhD work in creative writing next fall, so I guess I must enjoy it. I'm not really good at much else, although I teach university classes and coach other instructors as well. I like teaching, but it's not quite as fulfilling as seeing something of mine in print. I still do art, too, but  I recognized a long time go that I didn't have the talent to make a career out of it.

S:  What do you crave?

J:  I hate to say it, but I crave validation for my work. We all do, whether we want to admit it or not. I write for myself first, but I want other people to enjoy it, too. I also crave Mexican food, pizza, and martinis! And snuggles from my two basset hounds.

S:  (Smiles.) I think we all want our "creative genius" to be recognized and appreciated. 

Tell me about your book, "You Were The Moon."

J:  Sure. Here's the blurb--

Mitzi Weinhaus is the talentless daughter of two Munich Kabarett stars. One night, in an underground club that has so far escaped Nazi detection, she meets the enigmatic singer Giselle, who offers her a chance to be a hero. Teamed up with the mysterious Wolfrik, for whom she develops an alarming attraction, Mitzi soon finds herself ensnared in a world of secret societies, super-soldiers, monsters, and gods. With double-crosses on all sides, can she save her parents from certain death--and her heart from one of the most powerful beings in the universe?



S:  That sounds like a good read! Very complex and intriguing! 

Where can readers buy your book?

J:  It's available at--

Publisher:  https://www.devinedestinies.com/978-1-4874-1891-5-you-were-the-moon/
Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HM1H4Y5

S:  Jennifer, thanks so much for joining me today! If you would like to learn more about Jennifer and her books, please visit--

Website:  http://jenniferloring.com
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/JenniferTLoring
Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/jennifer_loring
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Jennifer-Loring/e/B0073XLEO8 

No comments:

Post a Comment