Friday, October 18, 2019

This week in The Loft: Author Lynn Michaels!

Joining me today in The Loft is fellow eXtasy author Lynn Michaels! Lynn writes M/M romance because she believes everyone deserves a happy ending. She also finds the dynamics of male characters to be intriguing, vulnerable, and exciting. Lynn has been writing paranormal and contemporary romance since 2014. She and her husband live in Tampa, FL, where she says, "The sun is hot and the Sangria is cold."


Lynn Michaels

S:  Welcome, Lynn! I am so happy you could join me. I have watched your career with great interest. You are one eXtasy's most popular authors.


Why did you become a writer?

L:  Every time I read a great story, I don’t want it to end. I try to make up things in my head about how the story will continue. I’ve always done that, and at some point I figured if I just write the stories myself it would be a lot easier. I still do that, by the way.

S:   I suspect a lot of writers are great readers!

What attracts you to the romance genre?

L:  I used to think of romance genre as being those old fashioned Harlequin romances. They were terrible, so I stayed away. Then I accidentally started reading paranormal romance. Fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal were my go-to genres. But the newer stuff blended the story, so I had paranormal and fantasy elements with a great love story. That convinced me to read more, and I was hooked. That bled out into my writing, so I went with it. Now I even read and write contemporary romance. 

S:  (Chuckles.) After reading those, I knew I could do better. 

Do you write in other genres?

L:  I started writing more fantasy/sci-fi, but when I got hooked on the romance stories, all was lost. I could still see myself writing something non-romance in the future, but I’m having fun with this stuff now.


S:  What is your perfect romantic evening?

L:  A nice dinner. Some time out in the pool with my hubby. Quiet and low key, just spending time together. I don’t need anything flashy. Time well spent together is the best gift.

S:  Do you remember your first kiss? What was memorable about it?

L:  My first kiss was a boy I had a major crush on. It was outside of a dance – like a school dance, but it was at the youth center of the military base I lived on. I think I was about 12 years old. It was sweet and perfect. That boy became my husband years later.

S:  Holy cow! That's amazing!

Do you believe in love at first sight? Has it ever happened to you?

L:  Yes and yes. I fell head over heels in love at first sight with the boy who I eventually married. I met him in the fifth grade. The first time I saw him walking across the playground, I just knew he was special. He was everything. I never lost my love for him and we eventually reunited and married. Now we’ve been married for 15 years. He’s my soul mate.

S:  That is such a heart-warming story. It gives those looking for love hope!

If you had to do it all over again, would you still choose to write books

L:  Yes. I can’t not write. I love the novel format the most. Nice long stories you can sink your teeth into, whether that’s reading or writing. My passion has been books my whole life.

S:  If someone wrote a song about you, what would be the title?

L:  Fun question. Probably something like – "Don’t tell her what to do," or  "Needs a warning label," or "She doesn’t like to play by the rules."

S:  What’s the best advice you have ever been given?

L:  Once someone said to me that life wasn’t meant to be miserable. If you’re miserable, it’s up to you to take steps toward a happier path. You might not get there in a day, but you have to at least move in the right direction. One step at a time.


S:  (Nods.) I always tell people you can choose to be happy or you can choose to be miserable.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

L:  I’m not sure. Actually publishing books. Getting past my fear of what others will think and just putting it out there. That’s probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.

S:  Complete this sentence:  “When one of my books is released, I...”

L:  I freak out a little. It makes me nervous. I want people to enjoy my books, and there is always a part of me that thinks they won’t. But then I let it go. I remind myself that the goal isn’t to make people like my work, it’s to put it out there for them to consume and make a part of their own story in whatever way works for them. It belongs to the reader at that point. I let it go. But in the back of my mind, I hope when they get to the end that they think of things to continue the story in their heads.

S:  What is your deepest regret?

L:  I regret not traveling more before I left Europe. I could have had so much more experiences, seen so much more of the world. I was too young at the time--a teenager. I hope I’ll have another shot at it some day.

S:  Where do you get your inspiration?

L:  I think many people ask that. They wonder how these stories come to life. It’s really a synthesis of many different ideas. I take a tiny piece of this and a sprinkle of that and meld them together. Maybe it’s a line of a song, or a quick scene from the trailer of a movie, or a news article. It’s never any one thing, but multiple things that get my brain moving in different directions. One of the best things about writing is that I can create something new from a mere spark of idea or insight. I can twist things around and do it my way. I like bending the rules and seeing what I can do. Then I hope the reader enjoys it too.

S:  Another one of your books, "Sometimes Rogues Returns," comes out today! Tell me about it.

L:  Sure. Here's the blurb--

Bryan and Kayden are back with the WCPC  team to finish what the demon started.

The mystery at Brown-Blythe Manor isn't over. The case is being re-opened, and Bryan is charged with finishing the engagement, only he knows there's more to the job than his boss expects.

Kayden and the others from the WCPC  team follow Bryan back to where it all began. Including Chad, who has more going on inside his head than he wants to admit. 

WCPC handles all your paranormal needs. Poltergeists, ghosts, or mystical apparitions, we can help. We employ the most talented wranglers who can control even the toughest demons around. Call  the consultants at Watercrest Cannon Paranormal Consultants to help.

Broody wrangler and tactile psychic must solve the mystery at Born-Blythe Manor-Sometimes Rogues Return.


S:  That sure sounds intriguing! Where can readers buy your book?

L:  Initially, it is available from eXtasy Books at https://www.extasybooks.com/978-1-4874-2664-4-sometimes-rogues-return/. However, it will be available from all major booksellers.

S:  Lynn, thanks so much for joining me today! If you would like to learn about Lynn and her books, please visit--




Lynn’s Loonie Bin - Facebook Readers Group:  http://bit.ly/LooneyBinonFacebook

1 comment: