Friday, September 17, 2021

Today in The Loft: New romance author B. D. Storey!

Joining me today in The Loft is first-time contemporary romance author B. D. Storey. Born in Germany, Bob was an "Army brat," traveling from post to post until his father retired. Upon reaching adulthood, Bob joined the U.S. Air Force. After retiring in 2000, Bob went to work in the technology department of his local sheriff's office. He plans to retire soon. When not working, writing, farming, or parenting, Bob enjoys PC and console games, immersing himself in role playing and lands of make believe, and writing epic tales of fantasy, love, adventuring, and dragon slaying. Bob lives on a small farm in Tennessee with his wife, three children, three horses, and five cats.

Author B. D. Storey

S:  Good morning, Bob. Welcome to the Loft!

Why write romance?  

B:  I've always been a romantic. I'm a sucker for a happily-ever-after. I play both online and console video games, and the characters I create in those worlds provide outstanding writing prompts. I'm the one who is always looking for romantic quests and storylines.

S:  I'm not a gamer, so I never considered that video games could be a source of inspiration for romance, but I imagine they could spark some pretty creative scenarios.

Do you write in other genres? 

B:  Romance is my first true published genre, but I also dabble in the fantasy and sci-fi realms for fun--just to keep things fresh.   

S:  What's your preference--Brains or brawn/beauty?

B:  Brains. I've always found intelligence to be an exciting turn on. Beauty and brawn can be superficial, but brains provide depth and character.

S:  I have to agree. When you loose that brawn and beauty, the brain remains. Without it, there is nothing.

Do you remember your first kiss? What was memorable about it?

B:  My first kiss was junior year in high school. What made it memorable, other than being my first, was how soft her lips were.

S:   What inspires your stories?

B:  From the romance side, real life events. For my fantasy/sci-fi shorts, general gaming events.   

S:  What is best/worst thing that has ever happened to you as a writer?

B:  Since this is my first book, the best thing was allowing several friends and a few strangers to read the first few chapters and have all of them fall in love with my characters and the start of the story.

S:  Sounds like you had a lot of encouragement and support. That's so wonderful. So many don't write because they never get that.

What is the best advice you have ever been given?

B:  "If you are on time, you are late." My father gave that advice to me when I started my military career.

S:  In other words, be a few minutes early. I wish more people had received that advice!

What inspired "Fate Takes a Hike?"

B:  The Hallmark Movie Channel! Hallmark movies are a great example of Happily-Ever-Afters (HEA) and to me, a basic romance story. You have a hero and a heroine who meet over some goal, there is a common purpose that brings them together, then a conflict point that threatens the relationship. This is followed by a recovery and HEA. Regardless of the movie, they all revolve around the same basic structure. My wife and I were watching a movie last July and I turned to her and said, "You know, I could write one of these stories. They all have the same basic structure." She said, "You could. You've done it with other writings." So I developed an idea and then started writing. Along the way I added a bit more spice than you would find in a Hallmark movie!

S:  I enjoy most Hallmark movies, but those one or two-kiss endings are far from satisfactory. I'm always left wanting more.

Is there anything special you would like people to know about "Fate Takes a Hike?"

B:  It's like a real-life love story. I wanted my characters to be portrayed as real people, folks you could meet while at a town picnic and get to know.

Here's the blurb--

What happens when fate and a little bunny conspires to bring two wounded hearts together?

Josie Callison was a single mother of one, living in Azton, WA, where she grew up. The past few years had been hard on Josie. First she lost her husband suddenly. A year later, her father passed away quietly in his sleep. It seemed only right to move back home to help her mother with the struggling family business and take the time to heal and raise her daughter.

Jacob Berman, widower and former soldier, has seen his share of death, the latest being the loss of his wife and child. Living alone and keeping mostly to himself gave him the time to work on the plan made by him and his wife for their future in Azton. Swearing off dating ensured that nothing else could cause his heart and soul any more pain.

On the clear and beautiful Saturday morning, neither expected to be falling down a hill or rescuing a damsel in distress. But, as we all know, Fate rarely asks for out input when planning our lives. When Fate decides that two broken hearts can heal each other, it will use all of the tools at its disposal to put those hearts on the same path. That includes a demonic rabbit intent on hiker mauling.


S:  A denomic rabbit intent on hiker mauling? That's one heck of a hook!

Where can readers buy your book?

B:  It's currently available at--

Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098LY894N

Barnes and Noble:  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fate-takes-a-hike-bd-storey/1139787737?ean=9781737518815

S:  Bob, thanks so much for joining me today and good luck with sales on your first book! If you'd like to learn more about Bob and his book, please visit--

Website:  https://www.bdstorey.com/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/BDStoreyAuthor

Instagram:   https://www.instagram.com/bdswritings/

No comments:

Post a Comment