Friday, July 14, 2023

This week in The Loft: Author Madison Michael!

Joining me today in The Loft is author Madison Michael. Maddy writes steamy romance, set in her hometown of Chicago. Her stories are focused on rich sexy men and smart sassy women who battle wits, misread one other, and ultimately, fall in love. Today, she has chosen to write her own guest blog, in which she expounds on a multitude of issues. Welcome, Maddy!

Author Madison Michael

Maddy on free speech and sexy romance--

Book banning is back in the news. How do I feel about it? I hate it, no ifs ands, or buts. I believe in making informed and wise choices about what we read, and especially about what we allow children to read. But banning books from everyone is censorship, plain and simple. And in this country, at least for the moment, we still protect free speech. If we can use the First Amendment to protect hate speech, shouldn’t we use it to protect books? I think the work of groups like the ACLU to protect free speech, all speech is critical to maintaining the country our founding fathers envisioned. For me, that includes my right to write spicy romance, which is the only genre I write. Usually, I throw in a billionaire or two, so that I can create a luxury world we only dream of, but ultimately, I am writing contemporary romance.

Are my books too spicy? Are books in general too spicy? Maybe a better question is are they moving toward too much violence and darkness. Look at mafia romance and dark romance or throw BDSM into this conversation. The bottom line? Just as my luxurious world of yachts and private planes is designed to offer escape, pushing the safety envelope is escape for others. I can respect all of these genre’s, including my own, provided authors are clear with their blurbs, their cover art and with disclosures of triggers when necessary.

If someone doesn’t want a spicy billionaire book, there are plenty of sweet ones to choose instead. But for me, in 2023, a heroine over thirty is likely having sex. Perhaps she has been married before, or in a serious relationship. Either way, this is no high school ingenue, these are successful business women living their lives, and those lives include sex.

That said, we need to be responsible authors, too. We need to research anything out of the ordinary and present it correctly, just as we wouldn’t make hemlock safe to ingest in our novels, we shouldn’t be flippant about one-night stands, unprotected sex, or kink. Get your facts straight.


Maddy with "more about me than you want to know"--

As you can see, I'm opinionated. I’m also outspoken and moody. I love to watch political news, read several newspapers each day and I adore arguing politics with friends, and foe. I think my current partner, Michael, loves politics, and arguing, as much as I do. We can raise discourse to dangerous levels, but we always kiss and make up. It helps that Michael and I love a lot of the same things, food, great movies, road trips, cats and oh, cats. Did I mention cats? He indulges me on that front—well, on most fronts! I am moody, and inconsistent in my writing, heads down for days, then writing nothing for a week. I love to make lists, hate to exercise, love to eat, and cook, but only for company.

Writing romance means blocking special hours for nothing but writing, no interruptions, a commitment to sprint with others, accountability. It also takes me away to another world, allows me to meet sassy women, powerful men and spend a few hours in a privileged world of too much money and not enough love. I would love more discipline in my approach to writing and the business of being an author, but I can’t imagine doing anything else. I would love that big success, that number one bestseller, but that is not why I write. If no one read my books, I would still write them. Stories flood my brain and I love telling them.

Time to meet "the Crazies"--

Take my current book, "Crazy to Believe," and my current series, All’s Crazy in Love. I was visiting friends, ten women sharing a beach house for a long weekend. There was so much laughter and music, joking and teasing, because we have known each other forever. And advice, we gave each other oodles of unsolicited advice, a/k/a meddling. And the crazies were born. On paper there are eight. Each has physical traits of a friend, or a mannerism, or a plot point. It keeps them close to. me, writing about them, thinking about them. Besides, they are fabulous, so they make great stories!

I love grabbing a diet Dr. Pepper, or an iced coffee and sitting down at my computer to continue this series. I think you will love reading it as much as I loved writing it. To get you started, there is a free prequel, "Crazy to Wed," available from my website www.madisonmichael.net. Grab the prequel, and then read "Crazy to Believe" and by then, "Crazy to Dream," and "Way Past Crazy" should be ready for purchase. Also, "A Crazy Rich Dilemma" is coming soon, too.


The blurb for the series, "All's Crazy in Love"--

Eight women – Seven single by chance or by choice. One dare – marry in twelve months or less. The stakes are high. Losing is not an option.

When eight friends from childhood reunite at their twentieth high school reunion, they realize they only see each other at weddings and funerals. This is unacceptable to friends as close as this. The answer—obviously—more weddings. To get the ball rolling, the lone married woman, Gabriella dares her friends to marry or else. When they laugh off her idea, she doubles down on her challenge and raises the stakes.

Gabriella doesn’t care if Avery is so shy that she’s hardly even spoken to a man, or that Rachel can’t choose between the multitude of guys she sleeps with each month. Gabby ignores every argument, instead selecting the worst price for each of them to pay if they lose.

The Dare is on. The women open their hearts to every opportunity that crosses their paths, no matter how unlikely or elusive the man might be. They’ll help each other – as long as it doesn’t cost them the win.

Within weeks Avery finds a fellow cat rescuer, Sofia’s heart flutters with new possibilities at work, and Willow spars and sparks with her horrible neighbor. Melinda has to be coached, but not Harper. After twenty years, she’s finally flirting with her high school sweetheart.

All’s Crazy in Love offers eight steamy romances—from first love to second-chance romance, from unexpected babies to unexpected attraction. Get to know eight wonderful women who find each other, themselves, and a chance to snatch the biggest prize of all—love. Read these stories and more in the All's Crazy in Love series coming soon.

Travel with life-long friends as they discover love, test friendships, and race to cross the finish line.

Let the games begin…


The blurb for "Crazy to Believe"--

She’s Betting on Love and the Stakes are High

The “Crazy Eights” have been best friends for thirty years, but they rarely get together. The remedy? An audacious dare contrived to bring them together for weddings—their weddings. Each participant must marry within twelve months or complete a personally mortifying task.

Meet Sofia, beautiful and brilliant, longing for a family. Starting over after a divorce, Sofia is focused on her career, not some foolhardy dare. She’s set her sights on a new job, a new home and reluctantly accepting her single, childless status. Independent and determined, she can’t foresee she will both win and lose her heart’s desire in the next six months.

Jeremy Klein, genius engineer and inventor, is also making big life changes. He’s sold his startup to become a billionaire CEO overnight. Unfortunately, his ego hasn’t caught up yet, and despite family pressures and turning forty, he is gun-shy about returning to the dating game.

Then Jeremy meets Sofia. They bond over shared business interests and a chemistry that sizzles. Their attraction is immediate and so electrifying that a one-night stand quickly morphs into planning a future.

But plans can change. Accusations threaten to derail their relationship, Sofia’s career and Jeremy’s position. Spies, lies and misunderstandings abound until those “Crazy Eights” step in, scheming and manipulating to secure Sofia her happily ever after.

The stakes are high. Win the bet and lose your heart; or lose the bet along with your dignity. When the wager is nothing short of true love, are Jeremy and Sofia crazy to believe?

In the tradition of The Beguiling Bachelor Series, Madison Michael creates a romance series about independent and sassy women, sexy and successful men, love, passion, and lasting friendships. Infused with a bit of suspense and plenty of humor, Crazy to Believe is a complex romance you’ll be reading all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment