Friday, August 11, 2023

This week in The Loft: Author Sadira Stone!

Joining me today in The Loft is author Sadira Stone. Sadira writes contemporary romance with "heart and heat." Her stories highlight chosen family, friendship, and the sizzling chemistry that pulls unlikely partners together. After a 28-year career teaching high school English, German, French, and theater on US military bases in Germany, Sadira returned to the Pacific Northwest, and eventually settled in Las Vegas. When she emerges from her "writing cave," you’ll find her shaking her hips in Zumba class or on the dance floor, strumming her ukulele, singing in her community choir, taking in live music and comedy shows with her charming husband, or cooking up a storm.

Author Sadira Stone

S:  Good morning, Sadira!

Why did you start writing romance?

SS:  Funny story: I started out writing cozy mystery, but each story had a strong romantic thread. You’d think I’d take the hint, right? Around 2016, I read an article about how fun and lucrative writing erotic stories can be, so I tried writing one. Turns out that story wanted to become a full-blown romance novel, and I was hooked. "Through the Red Door" caught a small publisher’s attention, and I was off to the races.

S:  How do you determine the "heat level" of your stories?

SS:  In my humble opinion, sexual chemistry is an important part of the falling in love process, and sex with someone you love is one of life’s peak experiences. No way am I going to leave out the good stuff! I enjoy a deliciously slow-burn build-up to that pivotal moment, and the revved-up emotion that comes with a sizzling sexual connection. That said, I’m not interested in kink, power games, etc., so I don’t write those.

S:  Sex plays an important role in many relationships. Ignoring that makes no sense. 

Book banning is back in the news and even some very popular romance authors' books are being removed from school libraries. How do you feel about this trend? How do we fight it?

SS:  Obviously, I’m opposed to book banning. My parents were conservative and uptight, so my only real sexual education came from the public library. Should parents have the right to limit what their kids read? To an extent, I suppose so—though when it comes to teens, it’s foolish to think you can keep a tight rein on their information flow, and a fool’s errand to try. Better to talk out important issues with them and explain what you believe and whyDo parents have the right to limit what other kids can read? NeverOne way to fight this is to write to your local library and praise to the heavens what you love about their services. This gives them ammo to use at hearings aimed at limiting their collections and services. And if such a hearing occurs in your community, show up! Can you tell I feel strongly about this subject?

S:  In the U.S., people do need to fight against censorship of any kind, especially when it's directed at taxpayer-funded institutions, like libraries and schools. We cannot sit back and wait for someone else to do it.

Are you self-published or traditionally published? Why did you choose that path?

SS:  I started out with a small press, a wonderful way to learn the publishing business. After a few books with them, I went indie and plan to continue on that path for the foreseeable future. I love the control I have over covers, content, style, and publishing timeline.

S:  What attracted you to your current partner?

SS:  I met Hubs at the high school where we both worked. Does that make him my high school sweetheart? We were both recovering from bad marriages and connected over that and other common interests. I adore his humor, his generous support of my writing, his acceptance of my introverted nature, his willingness to try new things, and he’s a great kisser!

S:  I'm one of the first to say kissing is a lost art. You're a lucky woman!

If you had to do it all over again, would you still choose to write books?

SS:  How could I not? I’ve been a bookworm since I taught myself to read at age four. Books are the golden thread that runs through my life.

S:  Have you ever shelved or thrown out a manuscript? 

SS:  As a matter of fact, I have three as-yet-unpublished books I’d call cozy romantic suspense. I do intend to polish them up and publish them someday. They’re not quite as steamy as my Sadira Stone books, so I might choose a different pen name. Who knows? It’s nice to have options.

S:  What’s the best advice you have ever been given?

SS:  A wise old Southern lady once told me, “Honey, ever’body has something to teach you, even if it’s how not to be.” Best advice ever!

S:  That's very sound advice.

What do you want inscribed on your tombstone? How do you want to be remembered?

SS:  “She loved life and had a blast!”

S:  I like that!

What inspired "Passion in the Cards" and "Passionate Brew?"

SS:  The first two novellas in the Trappers Cove romance series were originally part of last year’s Zodiac Encounters anthology and have been expanded and re-edited. Book 3, "The Billionaire’s Christmas Castle," coming in October, is a full-length novel. This series was inspired by the Washington State and Oregon beach towns I love so much--Ocean Shores, Long Beach, and many more. I love their kitschy souvenir shops, antique shops, community festivals, arcades, hippie-dippy crystal shops, funky bars and casual restaurants, and their welcoming, we-don’t-take-ourselves-too-seriously vibe. I go to the ocean to renew and refresh my body and soul, and these steamy romances deliver that same experience for my characters—and hopefully my readers too! "Passion in the Cards" plays with one of my favorite tropes-- opposites attract, and "Passionate Brew" plays with another--enemies to lovers.

S:  Sadira, thanks so much for joining me today. If you'd like to learn more about Sadira and her books, please visit--

Website https://sadirastone.com

Social media:  https://linktr.ee/SadiraStone

No comments:

Post a Comment